[2] -I feel like I'm the worst so I always act like I'm the best

Now Playing: Oh No! By MARINA

---

Never in a million years would anybody expect Y/N L/N to be selected to tryout to train with the Golden Guard in the Emperor's Coven.

But you always do seem to go for the unexpected.

There were a lot of students gathered in the covention center, from Hexside, Glandus, and even some other schools from across the isles. You sat down in one of the seats, your leg bouncing nervously as you waited for the Emperor's Coven officials to start talking about the first trial.

"Hi!" A random demon-witch sits down next to you, a kid about your age with shoulder length platinum blonde hair that faded into a dark purple, purple eyes, ram horns and white freckles across their face. 

"Uh.. hey." You smile.

"I'm Zarina, I go to Entrancy. You?" They say, holding out their hand to shake. Nervously, you shake their hand.

"I'm Y/N, I go to Hexside." You smile.

"Ahh, so you're a local." They nod. "I'm from the shin."

"Oh, nice. That's far."

"Kinda. What track are you in? I'm in construction."

"Oh.. it's complicated." You pause, looking at their confused expression. "I'm a bard."

"How is it complicated? Sorry, you don't have to answer that-"

"I keep getting moved to different tracks. I'm a bit of a disaster." You laugh.

"How'd you end up here?"

"Honestly? I have no idea! I can hardly control my own magic." You groan. "How about you?"

"Top student in construction at my school.. so.."

"Nice. I hear the Glandus construction girl is bad news." You warn them. "Maybe not, though."

"Honestly? All Glandus kids seem to be bad news." They laugh.

"Seriously." You smile.

"You nervous?"

"Extremely." You nod. "You?"

"100%." You both laugh.

"At least you're actually top student, I'm gonna be the first kid out." 

"Aw, don't say that. Maybe you'll get lucky."

"Oh, trust me. Luck and me do not belong in the same sentence." 

"Alright, everybody!" Your attention is taken by the Emperor's Coven scouts below yelling into a megaphone. "Listen up! There are 50 of you in here now, and by the end of the first trial, there will be 20 left. Now, you're all gonna file up down here in the arena, orderly fashion, please."

Everybody crowded into the small arena, looking around and waiting for more instruction.

"Well, whatever it is, good luck." Zarina says, smiling at you. 

"You too."

"Okay kids! Objective is to stay within the white line, it will get smaller as more people get out. The only rule is to stay in the line. Good luck." The Coven scout shouts and all of the Emperor's Coven officials stand up in the stands, watching as the fight starts. You look for the white line surrounding the group of kids, as chaos starts to erupt. Five kids are out already and the line has started inching closer to the center. A vine grabs your ankle and starts to drag you toward the line. Dammit, you're already gonna be out. You struggle against it, drawing a spell circle to tear the vine in half and you scramble to your feet, rushing toward the center of the circle. The best place for safety. Sort of. Right into the chaos. An oracle ghost comes flying at you and you duck to dodge it, hitting your head on someone's leftover construction tower thing. 

"Ow.." You mutter, rubbing your head. You noticed the line inching closer and closer to you and the last 30 or so kids.

"Out of my way!" A kid kicks you in the shin and shoves you back. You almost fall out of the circle but catch your balance for the first time in your life.

"Titan, have some manners." You mutter, rushing back toward the center. 

"21 left!" You hear from the stands.

What the hell?

Somebody's abomination shoves you and you almost slide out of the circle before slamming into a construction wall. You look up to see Zarina with a spell circle, smiling at you. You mouth a quick 'thank you' before scrambling to your feet and getting yourself farther away from the line.

"And that's twenty. Congrats." The line disappears and Lilith Clawthorne walks up to the final clump of kids. "The rest of you can go home and cry now." You glance around at the others, all looking pretty intimidating. Were you actually in the final 20? "Trial 2 for you twenty is at the Hexside grudgby field tomorrow at 8:00 AM. If any of you are late, that's immediate elimination." With that, she left and it was only you kids in the arena.

"This is gonna be easy." A purple haired girl says. 

"For me, it will. Sucks for the rest of you, though." A brunette demon boy says through a yawn.

"Holy shit I shouldn't even have made it to the first trial what the hell.." You mutter.

"Then don't show tomorrow." The boy says, crossing his arms.

"Y'know, I will. And I'll kick your ass." You say.

"In your dreams." He looks you up and down and then walks away. You sigh, leaving the arena.

"Hey, we both made it!" Zerenia exclaims.

"Yeah, good job. I'm gonna get my ass kicked tomorrow."

Why was luck suddenly on your side when you didn't need it to be?

---

Word Count: 852

A/N: guys I swear Hunter will be here soon sdjhasbdjbhsj