4: interview

It was like any other day until I was woken up by a girl screaming and to what I think was the front door slamming shut. I rush downstairs as fast as I can wondering what was causing all this commotion.

"Lock?!" I shout confused and slightly worried, but when he rushes out thinking there was something wrong

"El, what's wrong?" he says in a panicked tone walking towards me

"n-nothing, but what's with all the screaming?" I question his face relaxing a bit

"we're doing interviews today, don't you remember?"

"that's today!?" I exclaim

"Yea-" he goes to say something by a knock on the door and shouts back at George "George, we need more tea!"

"we've nearly run out!" he shouts back

Lockwood goes to shout again but I interrupt him "let me go get changed and I'll go to the shop, do we need anything else?" he shakes his head

"Ok, well I should be back later" I smile going upstairs to my room across from Lockwood's to get changed

*1 hour later*

I'm walking back from the shop with a bag in my left hand and my keys in my right. As I near the house I see a girl walking towards the front door and knocking.

"Probably just another person looking for a job," I whisper to myself

I walk through the front door shouting "I got teabags George; hope you haven't run out!" George rounds the corner with a tray that has tea and a plate of biscuits

"We just ran out, you're a life saver" I laugh at him and place the bag on the table next to me and follow George

I sit quietly on the floor in between the chairs Lockwood and George are sat on and stair and the objects on the coffee table that are covered up.

Lockwood breaks the silence and starts the interview with the girl sat opposite him, "shall we get on with the tests?"

"What tests?" the girl asked confused and that's when I finally look up at her and all the colour seems to drain from my face. This girl looks exactly like my little sister, luce, but older. I stay quiet focussing on the girl sat in front of me.

"The advert didn't say anything about tests?" she starts to panic

"Well, frankly, I don't set much store by references or referrals. I prefer to see talent with my own eyes. Please, take a biscuit. George will only eat them all." he jokes

I chuckle at the thought and George sends me an awful death glare.

"Now, then. What do you think... this is?" Lockwood says pulling one of the white cloths away revealing gorges skull that he experiments on.

"Uh... It's silver-glass, made by the Sunrise Corporation." she says focussing on the object reaching to touch it and when she does, she gasps, but continues with her answer, "Um... um... Ahem. It's... it's a ghost-jar. The skull's the source, and the ghost is tied to it. Couldn't tell you what sort. Phantom or a Specter, maybe?"

"that's correct," Lockwood says happy she didn't scream and run out like some of the others

"She was shaken. You could see it." trying to convince Lockwood that she would be a bad hire

"You know I can hear you when you say things like that? Where did you get it? Only Fittes and Rotwell had them."

"Time for questions later, now what do you think of this?" he says revealing another object which I haven't seen before a watch?

She picks it up and can see Shes focussing on something, I can sense it's a source but there must be a few other sources because this one doesn't seem that powerful, it's as if I can feel more power in the room.

"I can hear... gunshots." she says holding the object tighter.

"Gunshots? Sounds nasty." George says again trying to make her slip up

"No. They're not violent or sad. There's no suffering." finally opening her eyes looking at Lockwood, "This belonged to someone... happy, gentle."

"Very good. My uncle. Used to take it with him on hunting trips. Even had it with him when he keeled over from a stroke. He was a nice bloke. Shame." he rambles going to reveal the next object, "How about... this?"

I see the object on the table and tears start to form in my eyes. Mae's necklace, the one I took off her body when I last saw her, the one that I have a matching necklace too, the present she got me for my birthday. I listen in ready to take it as soon as she lets go of the object.

"there's pain connected to this object" she gasps "I see a silhouette stood in a doorway... I c-can't see her face, there's blood lots of it, and screaming"

Hearing her describe what went on that night brought back memories and I zone out a tear falling down my cheek.

*flashback*(there may be repeat from past chapters)

I am stood in the doorway of what he called his lab barely any light coming through the windows boarded up so no one can see in just a light from the hallway. I look at the body on the table in the middle of the room blood surrounding it. Mae. There is little life left in her eyes, it's too late to save her. I drop down to the floor crying and screaming in pain I walk up to her body just to see the life leave her eyes. I take her necklace, so I have something to remember her when I hear footsteps coming from the hallway, so I rush out the room, so I don't get caught. I never saw her again.

*End of flashback*

I blink away the tears that are still in my eyes to see Lockwood following lucy outside the Livingroom I quickly stand up and grab the necklace but falling back onto the floor feeling dizzy from the memory.

George goes to the ground hugging me as I hold the necklace to my chest tears slowly falling down my face, Lockwood walks in the room with a smile on his face not realising what is happening around him. "Looks like we have another person on jobs now, makes it a lot easier"

I shove past him knocking him into the door as I run up into my room grabbing a bag and packing my stuff in a hurry thinking of places to go ignoring the knocking at my door.

"w-what are you doing" Lockwood asks walking into my room

"Leaving" I answer coldly not wanting to talk to him

He rushes over too me and grabs my hand stopping me for a moment, "you can't"

"Too late I shouldn't have trusted you it was a stupid idea, goodbye Lockwood. Tell George I'm sorry" I say ripping my hand out of Lockwood's grasp and walking out my bedroom door and running down the stairs hoping I don't run into George knowing if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to leave.

Before I reach the door, I accidentally bump into the girl who I thought is my sister, "Isabella is that you?"

I look up at her face and pull her into a tight hug "I'll see you again," I whisper letting go of her, walking through the front door slamming it behind me.

--authors note--

I am so sorry I haven't updated in weeks I was intending to but completely forgot or had no motivation, I don't know when ill update next hopefully sooner rather than later. I know this chapter is rushed and a lot of things are happening, but I hope it makes sense, hope you had a great week.

Lara.