Chapter Eighteen

Eighteen-

I'm pretty sure Mr. and Mrs.Logsdon are pissed.

During winter break they were on vacation, so I couldn't bring Skylar to visit. They came back the night before we had to leave and expected me to drive to their house. They're accusing me of keeping Skylar from them. With her birthday coming up, I wasn't planning on taking a trip to California, but I might have to to get them off my back.

"That class is oh so painful now," I tell Keith as we're walking out of math. The first time I saw Mila after I broke it off, she slapped me, and then her son proceeded to kick my shin.

"Your fault for sleeping with her," Keith tells me like I didn't already know that.

There's a big group of people around the fountain, chanting non coherent words at what I'm suspecting is a fight.

Keith and I squeeze through the crowd, and are shocked when we see some guy, who is considerably larger, on top of Blake, beating the shit out of him. Victoria's holding Maya back from getting in the middle of it, which is probably a good idea because both dudes look angry.

I grab the guy by the shoulders and pull him off Blake while Keith tends to Blake. The guy elbows me hard in the face before a professor breaks up the crowd, threatening to call the cops. I help Keith with Blake. "Maya, call Anna. Tell her we'll be at the hospital," Keith instructs. Maya nods and does as she is told while Keith puts Blake in the back of his car. "Sit back there and make sure he doesn't shut his eyes."

Anna shows up not long after us, barging into the hospital room, looking like she's about to slap his already swollen face. "What the hell were you thinking? You can't go out and start a fight Blake, especially with a guy two times your size. God, one of these days you're going to end up dead because of how stupid you are." Then she starts crying and the four of us leave the room (Maya and Victoria came in with Anna).

"So Blake started the fight with the linebacker of the football team?" Keith asks. Oh, so that's who he was. No wonder he was so big.

"Yeah, apparently Nick constantly hits on Anna, and he took it to far at the party last night. When Blake heard he was out for blood," Victoria explains. Blake has jealousy problems and a short temper, not things that go well together.

Nurses walk in and out of the lobby, and my eyes search for one in particular. She ends up walking out of the elevator an hour later, long after the other three have left me. Her eyes meet mine and a small smile appears on her blood red lips. When did she start wearing that?

"Hi Colton, pretty nasty cut you have there," she comments, pointing to my cheek. I haven't been thinking about it, but now that she has pointed it out I can feel the stinging coming from my left cheek.

"Yeah, I was breaking up a fight and got elbowed. No biggie." Biggie? Can I be anymore lame?

She laughs and shakes her head. "Here, let me get you some ice. I'll be right back."

She's back in less than a minute with a bag of ice. She gently places it on my cheek and holds it there. "How was the holidays?" I ask to make conversation, and I kind of want to know since she didn't spend them with her parents.

"I had fun with my new friends, the other people who's family goes on vacation without them during the holidays. You?"

"Just went back home. Skylar had so much fun," her face falls a little at the mention of Skylar, "but your parents are being crabby lately because I don't want to have to fly back to Cali just for her birthday. They didn't see her Christmas either, since they were on vacation."