Bonus Chapter

I was writing this for a chapter in Skylar and Josh's book, but since it won't be ready for a while, I decided to add it here for a little insight on Colton's future. If you're content with the ending , you don't have to read. Enjoy!

Skylar is 28, for a time frame

"Dad, why are you sleeping in the guest room?" Lucy asks at the breakfast table. Crystal already went to work without much of a goodbye to me, which Lucy noticed.

"Your mom and I had a fight last night, no big deal." I hate lying to Lucy, but Crystal and I agreed not to tell the kids yet.

"Okay... will you drive me to school? And can we stop by Starbucks?"

After she orders some sugary filled drink at Starbucks, I drop her off at her school and then head to the lawyers office.

Why is getting a divorce so complicated? I'm giving Crystal whatever she wants to speed things along, and because I feel guilty. She's not the one that wanted the divorce, she thought that we could work through our issues in therapy. I knew it was a mistake to marry her in the first place, so I knew we shouldn't waste money with therapy.

Lucy and I head over to Skylar and Josh's place for little Abigail's second birthday. Crystal couldn't get off work.

My little girl is pregnant again, and it brightens my day.

She can tell something's wrong, and asks about Crystal and I.

"Dad, please, just tell me what's wrong. I can handle it- I'm a big girl," she says, and I have to remind myself that she's twenty-eight and not my little girl.

So I tell her, "I just want to start off by saying this decision has nothing to do with you, or any of the other kids. It's something that your mother and I agreed would be the best for all of us."

"I'm not following," she says, staring at me blankly.

I rub my temples, feeling a headache beginning to form. "Your mother and I have been on a break for a while now. We didn't want any of you to worry so none of you knew, not even Lucy. We're both still living at the house, but I sleep in the guest room now. We came to the peaceful conclusion that we should separate permanently."

"What? Did you say permanent separation? Like a divorce?" I nod in response.

"As I said, it's not your fault, it's not anyone's fault. We've been drifting apart for quite a while now, basically our whole marriage. I realized a few weeks ago that I wasn't as happy as I should be with her."

She starts to cry. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

"What made you realize that?"

I sit down at the kitchen table and she follows suit. I finally admit to myself what set off me wanting to take a break in the first place.

"I was looking at an old photo book at my parents' place. I was fifteen, sixteen, and there was a birthday and random pictures with my old friends. There were also a few photos from lacrosse camp. Trinity, she just looked stunning, in all of them. I started digging around and found the old albums she left me when she gave me you. There are these letters in there, some she left for me, and I remembered how it felt to be with her, how alive and in love I always was. I love your mother, but I realized we don't have that spark anymore, the one I had with Trinity, the one I used to have with her. I want to experience that spark again." I can't believe I didn't realize this was about Trinity. Well, not directly, but I always knew my feelings for Crystal and my feelings for Trinity were very different.