xxv

• third person •

As always, Jean is glowing.

It's hard to believe she's practically working twenty four seven. She's perfect in every way.

"This is a good spot! Shall we sit here?" Jean exclaimed, shining like the sun above them.

(Y/N) took a glance at the space beneath the large tree before them, shaded from the sun just enough to be comfortable. She nodded. "Okay."

Together, the two set down the picnic blanket, sitting beside each other beneath the shade with a basket full of snacks.

Jean let out a sigh of relief, leaning back. "I've missed these winds... I feel like I'm always inside these days. Thank you for coming with me today, (Y/N)."

(Y/N) pouted slightly as her gaze fell. "It's okay," she mumbled.

For some reason, she shuffled a little uncomfortably.

Jean... Jean must know something, right..?

About why... Diluc's acting the way he is...

I'm sure it must be because I'm a maid but...

Something tells me it's not just that...

Jean took out a few chocolates from the basket. "Want one?"

"Um, thanks." (Y/N) took the bar from her gratefully.

It didn't take long for Jean for realise that (Y/N) wasn't acting herself.

"You okay?" she asked softly. "Diluc tells me you've settled into the winery well, but if there's something you can't tell them, then you can tell me, if you want."

(Y/N) pursed her lips, bringing her knees to her chin.

"Jean," she mumbled.

"Yes?" Jean turned to face her attentively.

"Has... Diluc changed a little... to you..?"

Blinking, Jean's head tilted. "I-I guess... his voice has gotten much deeper... and he looks a bit more... umm..." she blushed, "mature, I suppose."

(Y/N) sighed. "I mean, personality wise..." she corrected.

"Oh." Jean cleared her throat.

"Is he still... the same cheery old Diluc, to you?"

The breeze whistled through the tree's leaves above them, a strange silence falling between them like a swaying leaf to the ground.

"Actually..." Jean mumbled, averting her gaze, "I... One of the reasons I wanted to hang out with you today... was to... talk about this."

Abruptly, (Y/N)'s back straightened. "So you do know why he's acting like this?" she exclaimed.

With a sigh, Jean cleared her throat, her eyes narrowing. Her shoulders raised when (Y/N) suddenly grabbed her hand, an unfamiliar desperation written all over her face.

"Please tell me, Jean. I hate it when Diluc and Kaeya argue. Please."

"It's..." Jean's lips quivered for a moment. She knew (Y/N) would hate this answer, but it was as much as she could tell her. "It's just that..."

"Diluc is just worried about you, that's all."

Simply, (Y/N) frowned.

"How so?" she questioned. "Is he worried that Kaeya will do something to me, or something? I don't see why he would think that."

Jean rapidly shook her head. "Of course not! It's nothing to do with Kaeya... It's more..."

"The maids not liking me?"