|1| The Arrival

The loss of a fatherly figure had made Amrita lifeless. The travel towards Hastinapur was a silent one, as Kunti and the female ascetics were involved in a conversation of their own about how to go about a few rituals upon reaching the capital, and the brothers were either gloomy or stared out of the carts they were traveling in.

"Jiji, see those elephants. They too would have been separated from their home," Nakul pointed towards a herd of elephants decked in jewels and trained for processions and other occasions that Hastinapur may host.

" Everybody has to be separated from their homes one day or the other, Nakul, sometimes for education, sometimes for opportunities, and sometimes just to flow along the river called life," Amrita said as she brushed Nakul's messy hair and made it presentable as she noticed them to be entering the villages of Kururashtra.

"But why isn't home the place where we are the happiest, our family, the smell of Maa's hand-cooked meals, or Pita's not-so-well-done fruit mix? Isn't that what home is? We are happy in each other's presence, where everyone loves everyone. I don't know how they will be there, Jiji," Sahdev said as he leaned on Amrita. Yudhishtir, Bheem, and Arjun looked at the twins sadly, knowing they did not know what to accept.

"Deva, the answer lies in what you said. The people make a home, not mere things used to make a building," Amrita said as she let the youngest Pandava sleep on her lap and sent an assuring smile to Kunti when she turned to look back at them that she would handle it. Amrita had her apprehensions about being in the presence of Hastinapur royals, but she kept it to herself and wanted to give them a chance. Being the eldest among the six, Amrita felt her behavior was observed by her brothers and was mimicked by them both consciously and unconsciously, and so would her cousins, who were waiting for their arrival in the palace.

"Children, we will be nearing the central part of Hastinapur. Please get up," Kunti said as she turned and shook her head. She found the six involved in their world and Amrita answering her brothers' queries.

"Maa, don't worry, these four are already up; I will wake up Deva as we near the palace," Amrita said as a sage passed her an assuring look that everything would go well as Amrita gently brushed Sahdev's hair.

In no time, the party from Shatashringa reached the gates of the palace of Hastinapur; citizens had gathered on learning that many learned sages had made their way to their city, and they had begun to collect on the streets to catch a glimpse of those men. The royalties were interested in the sudden visit and had assembled at the main gates with Bhishma at the front, the ladies standing right next, and the acting monarch of the kingdom, whom his trusted men aided, and so was the queen.

"Deva, wake up, baby," Amrita said softly. The other Pandava brothers looked at the palace in awe, which distracted them from the emptiness they felt from within as the youngest Pandava tried to hide in the warmth of his sister.

"Deva, get up now, Baccha. See, we have come to Pita's home. Everyone is waiting to meet you," Amrita coaxed him as she saw almost a sea of people near the palace. So many people were curious about them that she chuckled bitterly, only if they knew what news awaited them.

"Jiji, I don't want to," Sahdev said as he snuggled more with Amrita, who brushed his hair lovingly.

"Please, Deva, get up. You can sleep again after meeting everyone. I promise," Amrita said again as Sahdev gave in and stretched his arms to her. She hugged him as the carts had now stopped, and she could feel and see the movements of the ascetics who had accompanied them.

"Have we reached Jiji? " Bheem asked in a monotonous voice devoid of emotions.

"It looks like I can see a palace and recognize some people from our supposed new family," Amrita said as she peeked out, and Sahdev found himself up and hugging his sister.