✪We're Just Human

"Yes."

"What?! You... you... who the hell are you?!"

Mark shook his head and tried to reach for Shawn again but he quickly snatched his hands away and took another step back.

"I'm still Mark and I'm still from the Upper West Side."

"Upper West Side of what?!"

"Of Manhattan. Look, just let me explain and..."

"I gotta go!"

Shawn burst out and then quickly took a few more steps back. Not turning around as he backed up to the doorway of the room.

"Go? Go where? Why?"

"I just... I gotta get outta here!"

Shawn left Mark behind and walked out of the infirmary and then out of the Statesman base altogether.

He made sure he had all of his things and then he thanked the Statesman for everything. Right before he called the Langley base and for one of the helicopters to come and grab him.

As soon as he was back at the base. Shawn took some time to think and reflect on everything. He didn't want to think about Mark or what was happening so he didn't. He simply let that encounter slip out of his mind and he moved on. Spending the next few days by himself. Shawn took the time to get healed up before he was able to head back into training.

When the time came, he woke up early when the alarm went off, got himself dressed, and then he headed into the training room with his fellow agents. Right as he entered the training room Shawn went over to the supply table and grabbed a staff. Then he wasted no time getting to work. Allowing himself to only focus on one thing and one thing only.
Training.

Going into straight tunnel vision and only focusing on one thing at a time. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best way to handle things. Shawn really needed to try and work it all out in his head and reflect on everything he had gone through. But he refused to do so and only allowed himself to pay attention to training. Working at it as hard as he could and not stopping for anything at all. He didn't want to think about what he had gone through, or what he found out about Mark. He wanted to forget all of what happened and just focus on training.

That was exactly what he did. Shawn trained hard until he couldn't feel anything anymore. Not stopping for a second and not acknowledging any of his surroundings. He let himself go into some kind of intense trance. All to avoid letting his mind wander back to what happened.

Soon his already sore limbs couldn't take it anymore and gave out right under him and he fell to the floor. Picking himself back up Shawn threw the staff across the room and leaned his side on one of the walls. As soon as he finally managed to snap out of it, Shawn realized just how bad everything still hurt. He wasn't fully healed yet and instead of resting more and taking care of himself. He went straight into training and didn't bother to grant himself a break.

Every time he breathed in a sharp pain would radiate throughout his chest. His vision became a little blurry and he was using every last bit of his energy just to hold himself upright. He didn't want to think about Mark so much that he ended up harming himself in the process.

Unable to take it any longer, Shawn pushed himself off of the wall and went over to one of the benches. There he found himself a spot and sat down. Leaning his head on the wall behind him and breathing deeply.

The moment, however, didn't last long and soon one of Shawn's fellow agents told him that Director Fabian wanted to meet with him in his office. Shawn nodded once and then pulled himself forward and back onto his feet again. Then he very generously took his time making it to the elevator and finally up to the top floor.