Chapter 8

ALPHA CERDICK

Two hours later, Ada and I came up with a plan. She was heading back to the coven with answers to questions I knew they needed, but I gave her my number so she could contact me directly if there were any other questions the council members had when she showed them.

I watched as Marlo drove away with Ada in the back.

"That turned out better than we hoped," my wolf grunted in my head. I said nothing.

My wolf felt her magic run through her, but with what my father told me. She didn't rarely use it, which was weird to hear. My wolf kept coming to the surface at times to take a better look at her, but she seemed to be unfazed by him.

Movement from behind me brought me back, and I knew who it was—my father. I knew he would stay away from this meeting.

"She just left," I said without turning to him as he stood by me.

He sighed.

"How is she?" he asked.

"She seemed fine," I said. "Was a little shocked that I summoned her though. She had no idea who I was."

"She wouldn't know you," he said, making me look at him. His eyes were on the road. "Your grandfather forced her out. That's how the agreement happened."

I stared at him. He only recently mentioned Ada when I mentioned opening a new school on the pack lands for other shifters.

My father mentioned the coven near us, which surprised me. All pack members knew we would never go there, not even when I was a child. I kept the same rule when I took over until a member came to me and told me that he was mated to a cat shifter. Even though she was not a witch, my grandfather was a hard ass when it came to other shifters mating with others.

When my father ruled, he was the same, but there was more of a change with him, especially regarding witches. He seemed to be more or less withdrawn when it came to them. I didn't understand it until my grandfather passed away.

One evening my father and I were alone after the old man's funeral. I knew my grandfather was hard on my father and even witnessed some harsh words when I was a child. But that evening, my father told me all about what happened between the witches; to this day, I have never told a soul. Not even to my mother, who loved my father more than everything.

What he told me that night turned my life upside down. There was more to the story that he told me, but I was too pissed to ask anything else. That night, I vowed never to interfere in anything witch-related for a long time until I had a change of heart.

My father sighed, pulling me back from my thoughts, and looked at him. He gave me a knowing look. "I know where your mind went," he said as he looked ahead. "It's not because of that I asked you to talk to her."

I frowned.

"Then what?" I asked.

My father turned around, placing his finger to his lips. "Not here," he murmured as he walked back into the pack house. I looked to the road again, but I felt eyes on me.

Pack members were around, heading to their jobs, and I knew the children would be home from school.

I turned around and headed back inside the pack house, straight to my office.

Once inside, I found my father sitting on Ada's chair. His eye met mine as I closed the door and headed to my desk. I sat down, and my father started to speak again.

"When your grandfather was alive," he said. "He never believed in what we believed in. I always kept that true to you, making sure you knew it was alright to be different." I gave him a nod in agreement as memories of the conversations I used to have with him. He made sure my grandfather was never around when he spoke.