Chapter 17

ADA

Taking a breath and letting my emotions calm down after seeing my daughter took a lot longer than I intended. I walked over to the house and headed inside.

I opened the door, and the warmth hit me. Stepping inside, I stopped. There was something in the air. Some tension or something along those lines lingers in the air.

What the hell did I miss?

Walking further into the house, I noticed the TV was on, but there was no sound. But no one was there. I frowned. Where were Callie and Phoebe?

I heard a noise coming from the kitchen and headed toward there.

Pushing open the kitchen door, I stepped inside to see Phoebe staring out of the window. "What's out there?" I asked, making her jump. She spun around and placed her hand on her chest. "Jesus," she murmured. "You scared me to death. I didn't hear the door open."

"Sorry," I said, moving to the chair by the table. I pulled it out and sat down. My eyes went to hers till she moved back to the window.

"What are you looking at?" I asked, frowning.

Phoebe said nothing but sighed and turned back around to face me. "Something that Callie said," she said. I stared at her, looking confused. "What did she say?"

Phoebe looked at me for a moment and talked. "She came out here to get a drink," she said. "But she went to the door and walked outside. She told me she could sense someone."

My eyebrows shot up. Someone was spying on us. Who?

All the council members were still there, and the coven members learned when Callie came here not to look into our house for answers or to see what was going on. Callie's magic made a rare appearance, scaring some people away and leaving a mark on her.

"Did you see anyone?" I asked, looking back at her, but she shook her head. "No," she muttered but looked toward the window. "But there is some kind of dark energy out there tonight."

A shiver rippled through me. I felt nothing outside before, but saying that my magic hasn't shown itself for years. It rarely comes to the surface.

Moving out of my seat, I walk toward her and look out the window. Even though I couldn't see or sense anything, a dark force was there.

"Where's Callie?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the window.

Phoebe sighed.

"Her room," she muttered, moving away from me. I didn't bother looking to see what she was doing. She flipped on the kettle and sighed. "What did the council agree to with the school?" she asked. Knowing this question would be asked more than it should, I knew I had to tell her.

I turned around and looked at her, then told her about the meeting and what was discussed. Even mentioned the visit to the pack, too, which startled her. "So, was he—" she asked, knowing the true meaning of the pack to me.

Placing my finger to my lips, I shook my head. "No," I said, leaning on the counter. I watched Phoebe make tea while I continued. "I met his son, though. It seems they have the third generation going at the same time as the coven kids."

Phoebe stirred the tea and looked at me. "So, does that mean Callie can go?" she asked, stopping to look at me. I gave her a nod, and her eyebrows shot up. "They agreed," she muttered. "How? What does she have to do?"

With a sigh, I looked to the kitchen door and explained everything that Callie would have to do before and during going to school with the others. Phoebe sighed and handed me my cup of tea. I took a swig while she spoke. "Well, at least she can be a normal teenager for a while," she muttered, making me look at her with a smile. "Yeah, that's for certain."