Chapter 3: The First Succeeding Leader

Brickfur breathed in the tang of the bushes along the AntClan border. Though she loved her Clan, she couldn't help but wish they lived in a less... sandy... territory. However, this was not the best time to enjoy the greenery and shelter of this part of the territory. Brickfur should be on alert, because AntClan had been acting a little bit provocative lately. 

Brickfur was marking the border lines when a gang of rogues erupted from the beach grass. An ambush! This was far worse than seeing AntClan

For a moment, Brickfur was shocked with fear and she couldn't move. However, the touch of the first rogues teeth on her took her out of her stance. She dodged before the rogue's jaws clamped shut. Brickfur managed to doge and weave throught the onslaught of attacks. Eventually, she escaped the fray. She pelted towards camp. "Rogues by the AntClan border!" she yowled, out of breath.

"Brickfur?" It was Tulipstar. Her friend looked concerned. "You arrived just in time," he mewed. "I was about to call a Clan meeting." 

"Fudge isn't here either." It was Icee.

Suddenly, Fudge pelted back to the Clan as well. He seemed out of breath. Had he encountered the rogues Brickfur had met? "Can... I speak... to Tulip...star?"

Tulipstar's eyes narrowed, as if he guessed what Fudge was going to say. "Would you mind saying it now?" he mewed. "It would save a lot of time."

"I would like to become an elder," mewed Fudge. "I've been feeling my bones creaking lately. And when I fought dogs today, I felt out of shape. I wanted to serve the Clan for as long as I can, but I don't think I'll be able to anymore. And with leaf-bare soon coming, I don't want to have to patrol in the cold."

Tulipstar nodded. "Let all the Clan gather at the Clearing!" yowled the cream dappled tom. "Cone," he mewed, turning to the deputy. "You have caught green cough. You told me that, because of this,  you wish to retire and leave the place of deputy to another cat. Your wish is granted. You have served you Clan well as their first deputy, as you have deserved your following moons of rest."

The leader turned to Fudge. "You joined our Clan recently," he mewed, "but we have all been touched by your compassion. You are ready to become an elder."

"Now, it is time to choose a new deputy." Brickfur felt many eyes turn on her. The Clan wasn't oblivious to her friendship with Tulipstar. She was the oldest warrior in the Clan, with a lot of experience and rather good hunting abilities, if she did say so herself. She felt very self-conscious, but didn't show it. Anyways, she hadn't fully trained an apprentice. Did it count if she was still half-way through? "I have decided the new deputy will be Brickfur." The Clan nodded in approval, and Brickfur felt even more embarrassed. "Brickfur is a good warrior and an especially good hunter, and a good friend to mein the Clan. She will also lead you well through these troubled times." The Clan gasped with shock.

"By 'these troubled times'" mewed Curlstripe, "do you mean now? You're still on your ninth life!"

"I think he's retiring," Brickfur heard Rowan mew to her apprentice, but purposefully loud enough for the whole gathered Clan to hear.

Tulipstar nodded. "Rowan if right. I will retire. I'm honoured to have lead this Clan for so many seasons. I will go to the Moon Waves to return the lives to our ancestors once this meeting is over." Brickfur was frozen in shock. She didn't know whether to be terrified or overjoyed. It was all a lot to take in. It would have been nice if Tulipstar had talked about this to me before, Brickfur thought dryly.

"I'm coming with you to the Moon Waters," Curlstripe informed her leader. 

Rowan, who was behind her apprentice, nodded. "I'm getting too old for the journey.

Tulipstar's eyes were filled with disappointment and a bit of anger. Brickfur stopped herself from rolling her eyes. The feud between the two cats was becoming exhausting for the whole Clan. Curlstripe passed the travelling herbs to the leader, and the two cats left to the Moon Waves, staying far apart. Brickfur shivered. She would be following Curlstripe to the Moon Waves soon as well.

A day later, Amberbeetle went on patrol. And then she didn't come back. There had been a tidal wave that night. It reminded Brickfur ironically of the time Amberbeetle fell into the sea and Icee saved her. But what worried Brickfur the most was that it was an omen.cIt's not, she tried to convince herself. This could have happened any time.

"Brickfur?" It was Curlstripe. She was carrying herbs in her mouth. She passed them to Brickfur. "We're going to the Moon Waves," she mewed. "Eat the herbs. They'll taste bitter," she warned. 

Indeed, the green herbs did not taste on Brickfur's tongue. The cats headed to the south of the territory, towards the Moon Waves. It was a truly beautiful sight. The moon shone brightly upon the stillest waters of the sea, and the brighter stars were reflected in the dark water as well. It made Brickfur's heart feel peaceful.

"Touch your nose to the water," mewed Curlstripe. Brickfur obeyed the medicine cat. "And close your eyes."

Brickfur was surrounded by all the cats that had died in the Clan. She hadn't been close to any of them, but they were the only dead cats in Clan. She recognised Amberbeetle and a light brown spotted tom that from descriptions, Brickfur recognised as Rush. There was another cat, still an apprentice, that no cat had ever talked about. She must be the StarClan guide, realised Brickfur. Stars shined throughout their pelts, and their eyes are warm as they greeted Brickfur.

Amberbeetle stepped forwards. "I give you a life for courage."  I didn't know receiving lives was painful! Brickfur gritted her teeth as the life rushed into her. She felt as if she had been struck by lightning.

A young cat emerged from the starry ranks to give a life. Starlight reflected off her youthful eyes. Loudpaw stretched up to give a life for justice. This life didn't hurt as much as the first. Instead, Brickfur felt some kind of stiffness in her bones.

Rush then walked up to Brickfur, offering a life for unity. He smiled. "The Clan will do well under your leadership," he mewed.

Suddenly, the mist at the edge of the clearing took shape. Dozens of wispy, starry spirits emerged, quickly surrounding Brickfur. "We grant you your remaining 6 lives." Individually, each voice was distant, but together, the force of their words shook Brickfur to their core. "Use them well, with our blessing." And in heartbeat, almost all the cats were gone. Only Rush remained.

"Birckstar," he mewed, "you old life is no more. You are granted guardianship of your Clan." He looked her in the eye. "Use your power wisely."

"Brickstar! Brickstar!" The other cats had come back and they were cheering her new name. Birckstar woke up. She felt a new strength flow through her veins. I am ready to lead SparkClan.