Chapter 7: New Growth

Floweregg wanted to go out and explore the coast on her own. Everything that was happening in the Clan was making her dizzy, and she needed a few moments to recollect herself. She wanted to be as loyal to SparkClan as she could! Even more now that she had her first apprentice, Thymepaw. Thought she didn't know Amberbeetle's daughter well at all, she had heard a few moments from Warmleaf that the pale ticked and white she-cat reminded him of her when she had been an apprentice.

Floweregg went to explore the northern sands, which she had never really been able to picture in her head. She had really needed the time alone. The fighting and hunting distracted her from the chaos that had happened this moon and it also meant she was serving her Clan.

Suddenly, Floweregg spotted a dark brown spot near the AntClan border. Who could it be? She could tell the cat had seen her too. She started running towards Floweregg. Lightningpaw! thought Floweregg suddenly, running towards the she-cat as well. Running in the sand was annoying: for every two paw steps she made, she drifted one backwards.

Out of breath, the she-cats reached each other. Lightningpaw and Floweregg finally reached each other. Before Lightningpaw asked, Floweregg mewed, "don't worry, Thriftpaw is with us."

"Thriftpaw?" panted Lightningpaw.

Floweregg nodded. "She joined the Clan about a season ago. And you know how she is about training. Hopefully you'll be able to get your warrior ceremony together!" Floweregg suddenly remembered something. "I guess it's good luck you came back on the Clan's fourth new-leaf!"

Lightningpaw nodded happily. "I can't wait until I can see Sweetpaw and Thriftpaw again!" beginning to race back to camp.

"Sweetpool," corrected Floweregg. "He's become a warrior though. And he has his first apprentice: Grousepaw, one of Amberbeetle kits!" Floweregg's gaze darkened as she thought of her dead enemy. She didn't want to have anything to do with her Half-Clan kits, except perhaps Thymepaw. Amberbeetle had deserved to die: her Half-Clan relationship proved she had no loyalty towards SparkClan.

Lightningpaw caught Flowergg up on the other news. About Tulip's retirement and death. About Brickstar's leadership. About Cone retiring and later becoming a mediator. About Sandstripe and her kittens. About all the new kittens.

Soon, the two cats arrived back to camp, and Brickstar immediately ordered a ceremony. She named Lightningpaw Lightningnettle and honoured her strategy. Next, Thriftpaw was honoured her for her enthusiasm. It took Birckstar ages to get the apprentice to concentrate enough for her to say the vow and sighed as she gave her her new name, Thriftdapple.

At the same time, Shorepaw, Icypaw and Shypaw were all apprenticed and Brindlepaw was made Warmleaf's apprentice. Shypaw was apprenticed to Thriftdapple, Shorepaw to Lightningnettle and Icypaw to Kasi, because there were no more warriors that could take on apprentices.

Shorepaw impressed Floweregg by immediately asking her mentor if she could prepare fresh bedding for everyone. Floweregg could tell that Lightningnettle was shocked too.

Floweregg heard Icee grunt behind her. "I don't like how busy the Clan's got," she grumbled.

Floweregg would have agreed yesterday, but she had changed her mind. Although the Clan was certainly more full and bustling than it had been when she had been younger, and that could often be confusing, it didn't mean that new growth wasn't something to be celebrated.