:: Socks (Part 2) ::

So I happen to know that NOBODY writes their names on their socks. But guess what? Maka's the only exception.  ;)

"Maka!" The little ash-blonde waddled up to her maroon-haired father. "Yes, Papa?"

"I've got a present for you!" He rubbed her head affectionately. Maka squealed, and tore at the package in his hands. Out fell a pair of socks.

They were ugly, a sky blue with yellow clouds and white stripes, but somehow Maka seemed to love them. She put them on immediately, and danced around in them, laughing.

Her mother glanced at her father. "You have really bad taste, Spirit," and she knelt down to her young daughter, and held her. "You must learn not to lose them, alright? It's Papa's precious gift to you." Maka nodded, and suddenly she rushed off.

She came back a few minutes later, and shouted, "Look, Mama! Look!" Her mother tried not to gasp when she saw a "MA" and a "KA" written on them in neon green Sharpie. Spirit laughed.

"Well, at least now she won't lose them! You're Papa's girl after all!" And with that he lifted her up and spun her. Her mother had to join in with the laughter, eventually.

It was yet another remnant, a broken shard of the ruin of memories in Maka's head. It was one of those sole, happy moments that were buried deep in her conscious. She did not cry at the memory, however stopped sulking at her childhood innocence and lifted herself from the bed, sock in hand.

"It's time we found your partner," she smiled, and began her search.

After combing through her wardrobe, sifting through the washing machine, and digging through the clothes basket three times, Maka still couldn't find it. She turned to Blair, who was licking her paws daintily. "I need help." She collapsed onto the floor groggily. The black cat leapt off her chair, pacing  silently toward the ash blonde. "A cat can get to places humans can't," she remarked with a slight haughty air that Maka did not entirely like. "I'll scout the store room."

Maka shuddered. The storage room was probably the most horrifying room in the apartment. It was stuffed with all sorts of junk,  ranging from Blair's lingerie to Black☆Star's sneakers. 

"Good idea," Maka did not hesitate to agree. "I"ll go ask Soul."

She wondered how hard it would be to question him of her sock. Perhaps, something like hey Soul, have you seen this one hell of a sock with the front half of my name on the bottom? She'd probably receive a raised eyebrow and a snort. How about Soul, did you rummage through the laundry and take something that isn't yours? Too patronizing. 

She wondered, too, on how the sock got there in the first place. It must have been very old, yet Maka hadn't seen it in the past few rounds of washing. 

She turned the knob to his room without knocking. "Soul--" Maka flinched, then snickered when she saw her ivory-headed weapon partner making soft little snores while tucked in his bed. She could not help smiling, yet thought it was funny. Soul wasn't the type to tuck himself in (or let anyone else do for that matter) but the scene was just so innocent it didn't fit him at all.  Maka would've expected a slouched, upside-down position with the covers thrown about.

She realized then this was the perfect opportunity to search about without Soul butting in. As the neat, tidy Maka she wouldn't leave his things lying about unlike what he did with hers, would she? And so she started. She scavenged his drawers, cupboards and extremely messy desk while he slept soundly as she carried out her investigation. Alas, it was to no avail. The other sock was nowhere to be found. 

And yet... what was this?

Hidden in a small corner of his shelves was a medium-sized box with intricate carvings of which Soul told Maka that it was absolutely off limits. Maka was obviously not your perfect child; she was more of a devilish angel. So you can guess what she did next. 

To her utmost surprise and awe, in that box, laid across all the elegant red velvet padding, was an ugly blue sock with yellow clouds and awful white stripes. On it was written the letters 'M' and 'A'. 

"My sock!" Maka exclaimed, then clamped her mouth shut. Questions swirled in her head: had Soul heard her? Why did he keep her sock after all this time? And why was there another pair of socks in that box...? Her mouth dropped open when she realized what they were. 

They were crimson, with gold stripes horizontally and green stripes vertically. On them were two syllables written in dark navy blue: "SO" and "UL". 

Maka couldn't breathe. The sight was just plain funny, but there was something. Something in her heart blossomed. The fact that Soul could be such a innocent, emotional... person got to her. She just grinned, a wide perfect grin. It was such a cute act. Then she had a brainwave. She went out and fetched her other sock and laid it next to the rest. While Soul continued to fantasize in those sweet dreams of his, Maka decided to sneak quietly out leaving the drawer closed and hidden, containing two pairs of the same soul.

...

I had no idea what the ending was. SoMa will be the death of me.