Part XVII (XI)

A/N: There are things we can never do in real life...

What makes someone a good person? What makes them bad?
I think the lines are sometimes so blurred that there might not even be a difference anymore.

What makes someone a good person? What makes them bad?I think the lines are sometimes so blurred that there might not even be a difference anymore

Sleep was hard to find that night. A wisp of dreams caught me here and then, though only to remind me that I would have to wake up eventually. Tossing and turning would not help and only did I find some well needed peace when the Master came to keep me company. We shared a bed in one of the ship's cabins and he wrapped around my back, his hand sprayed on my belly, his mind caressing mine and lulling me into a sense of peace and quiet.

Morning came. I stood in front of the lockers and was clueless. What do you wear when you move out to commit murder? What is the best outfit for someone who is about to change the tides of the past? In the end I picked some simple jeans and a black hoodie with the picture of a harpoon on it. Weirdly fitting.

The Master let me take my time and yet never was far. He waited, waited for me to blow the whole thing off. Because he knew I was scared, because I didn't know what the outcome would be, because, even after all the adventures, I hadn't had a brush with death too closely. Dying was something people did in the distance or in the shadows and around corners, but never right in front of my eyes, never with all the gruesome details it would entail.

And never by my own hand.

Eventually I nodded. A slow and deliberate movement. I had stalled long enough. If I was going to do this then either now or never. The Master rolled up his sleeve and revealed the Vortex Manipulator. It didn't look like much and yet...

"Just place your hand on it. It needs a psychic connection to everyone who wants to travel."

Again I nodded, not speaking a word. The world went black as soon as my hand touched the metal casing. We were spinning and bending and twisting, shoved and pulled and then... spit out. I stumbled, trying not to lose my footing and to keep my meagre breakfast inside.

"Whoa, nasty," I mumbled, holding my head. "You never told me how bad this is."

"Time Travel without a capsule. A killer." The Master snickered and grabbed my elbow to stabilise me. "You get used to it after some jumps."

My answer was a grunt, but the sickness faded fast and I managed to take a look around. I had picked a time some years after I had cut all ties to my family. There had been no way to keep contact with my Dad without having to speak to my mom too. They didn't even have an Internet connection, because she was convinced that only evil would come through it and he wasn't allowed to have a private mobile because she was afraid he might cheat on her.

He should have. But he had always been a way too nice person to do it.

We stood outside an old house, it had been built long before my time. My grandma had lived there her whole life and sometimes my parents would come and visit for some days. It was a nice spot, with a wide garden full of trees and patches of high grass. A bit wild, but beautiful nonetheless.