Evens | A ELEVEN

I sat in the darkest corner I could find, burying my hands in my face and wishing I could just throw myself into an abyss.

I was desperately trying to keep it together but it was hard when one was going through one of the worst experiences out there. Your biggest fear and worry, actually coming true.

I knew I was far from being into the latest fashions, shows or artists and I had grown to accept being out of touch. Never did I think I would regret it.

I was wrong.

When the first question was delivered and I hadn't said anything, everyone assumed I just was a little off in sync.

After the third and apparently obvious one about some actress, shocked and confused faces surrounded me. I'd never felt more out of place before. It was like I was hearing a different language. It was all so foreign and perplexing, I was rendered into a stuttering clueless mess by the end of it. A few of the Milton Prep students had even started laughing.

If not for our team's exemplary scoring earlier, I would've cost us the game. Not that I hadn't cost them the chances of victory by a certain extent.

Once they switched to break, I was in shock. Had I'd honestly been that ignorant of things people my age knew as common knowledge? It was horrifying.

The next pair of competing teams were on stage now while the rest were helping themselves to snacks at the commissary which I'd declined. I had no appetite. Or they were in the green room, viewing the other competitors along with the crowd. Amina tried to encourage me but I settled to stay backstage wishing I could just disappear.

Maybe I was being a bit dramatic but try having an embarrassing moment not just in front of classmates, but in front of a whole set/crew and a studio packed with strangers. Not to mention, it was all taped and going to be broadcasted on national television tomorrow.

Yeah, reviewing again it did sound bad and I was bringing out my phone to contact my parents to tell them not to watch the show. I could spare minimum of the humiliation.

"Stevie."

I flickered my eyes to Will poking his head round the corner. "You can't keep sulking about it," he told me as he stepped closer.

"Tell me that when you've humiliated yourself on a national level," I replied.

"Technically, it's only three quarters of the nation because this channel doesn't air on Northern Ireland."

"Thanks, that makes me feel so much better."

At that, Ben stumbled in with an urgent demeanour. "Will there you are— oh hey, Stevie. You guys have to come to the green room right now!"

"Why?" Will questioned.

"The team that called for the bonus round got Riddle as a theme and they're diving into the rubber nose pit to find where the riddles are written on!" He enthused. "They got to wear goggles like they're swimming and everything. Come, quick."

"I'm alright," I declined.

Ben pouted. "Oh come on, Stevie it'll be fun. You'll definitely feel less bad about not being able to answer a single question and letting the team down. I always distract myself when I do something stupid."

"Ben!" Will hissed.

"What?"

"Just go please." sighed Will, making a gesture with his hand to shoo the boy away like a dog.

"Fine, suit yourselves." Ben scampered off.

I studied the laces on my converse, avoiding Will's gaze that was unquestionably focused on me.