Check | A TWENTY FOUR

My mouth fell open for the second time that day. None of the others noticed as they were too busy being equally taken aback.

"Girlfriend?" Mr. Goy-Smith glanced at me then back to his son. "Why is this just the first I'm hearing of this?"

"Yeah," chimed Barry. "You never mentioned this to me, Shaunny."

"You guys never asked," Shaun used to justify.

"Oh, is that so?" Amusement was all that was apparent on his dad's face. He set his sights on me, kind smile even wider. "Well it's very nice to meet you— Stevie, was it?" He offered me his hand.

"Yeah," I confirmed, gladly accepting it. Mr. Goy-Smith's palm was callous and tough, as expected from a craftsman in his area.

"And I'm Barry Steinberg." The other man announced, suddenly growing an interest in my existence and stretching forth his own hand. "You can call me Barry."

I merely coerced the handshake out of politeness and kept it fairly short.

"Today has certainly turned out to be quite surprising," said Beswick with that scrutinising look on again. "Dylan." He placed a hand on Mr. Goy-Smith's shoulder. "I have a young and quite remarkably talented sculptor who's been very excited to meet with you. He has a piece on display in the east sector I believe you will die for."

"Oh, by all means," accepted Mr. Goy-Smith, brimming with intrigue.

"Maddie and Stevie, you two just got here so I reckon you haven't gotten a chance to see it yet then," Beswick deduced. "Care to join us?"

I could see the gleam in Ms. Dion's eyes. Mr. Beswick was welcoming her company- an invite that I was sure the man wasn't one to normally make out of courtesy to acquaintances. Perhaps it was a tease or a test but either way it was a step in the desired goal and Ms. Dion would take it.

"Certainly," she replied.

"Um actually," started Shaun before we could start on our new course. "Could Stevie and I go check out other pieces? I already had my own agenda planned out on which ones I wanted to see before I have to head back for practice."

Mr. Goy-Smith regarded the notion with raised browns and peered to Mr. Beswick. The two men chuckled.

"Alright, I can take a hint. You and your girlfriend can go ahead." His father winked and I found myself growing giddy by the pronoun.

Girlfriend. They said it again.

I had no idea what this was about but I definitely wasn't going to protest. All at once, Shaun swooped to my side and wrapped his arm around my torso binding us by the hips. "Thanks." He smiled. "We'll catch up to you guys later."

Ms. Dion flashed me this prideful look and continued onward to the sector with the other three men. The moment their figures were completely out of view, Shaun dropped his arm.

"I'm really sorry." He sputtered. "Before you slap me or yell at me, just hear me out. That Steinberg guy has been breathing over me all day and I just really wanted some space. I mean, I made a deal with my parents that I'd get better marks so he'd let me ditch class and come with him because I really wanted to see the gallery. But then I couldn't even go to the bloody toilet without Steinberg there calling me 'Shanny' every time." He cringed.

"So when I saw you, it just popped into my head that if I said we were dating, my dad would give us some alone time and Steinberg would have to go too. That's all. I'm sorry for dragging you into a lie and inconveniencing you but..."

As he rambled in his nervous state, I let out a breath. Oh. So that had been it. Well what had I been expecting? That he was aware of my crush and said that to boldly return my feelings? This wasn't some sappy love story. On the brighter side, at least it wasn't a dream.