Happy | A THIRTY SIX

A/N: Today, I'd like to give a shout out to my sister and book aesthetics designer, itsabouttim on her ONC book, Anonymous J! If you're into college romances with some snarky humour and a dash of thriller, please check it out!

Of course, this author's note wouldn't be complete without the dedications. This chapter is dedicated to jakkk3 and Melanin_bear

Garren took us out for ice cream before dropping me at the hotel. I presumed it was as a gesture to cheer up Will from the 'event'. Or more like a reward for a good job in endurance.

Although what Garren didn't realise was that it wasn't necessary. Will was feeling appreciated plenty by that little expression of gratitude back at Harvey Julliard. That didn't mean I was objecting- I was getting delicious ice cream for free. Once again, Garren wasn't eating his. What was the deal with that?

At some point, Garren's phone began to ring and once glancing the screen, he got up from our booth and stepped out to attend to it. My eyes couldn't help but stare at his back from the window view, phone by his ear.

"It's probably his dad." supplied Will, easily reading my mind.

"His dad?" Why wouldn't he want us overhearing a call from his dad? "Are they not on good terms?"

"No, they get along fine. Better than what I've known." He muttered, taking a lick of his strawberry vanilla. "It's just a thing in his family."

"Right."

As another subject came to mind, I looked to Will again but found his concentration on the boy wrapped in mysteries stood outside. A look of content on Will's face so delicate and gentle that I didn't want to do anything to disrupt it. However, the words just came tumbling out.

"I was jealous of you."

He strayed those soft brown rolls onto me, puzzlement splashing onto his pretty face. "Who?"

"You." I lowered my gaze to my mint chocolate. "You're so nice and considerate, it was hard to criticise you unlike Garren or Ben. It confused me why you were with them and then after the Michael thing, I was so mad at how you were still on his side. But it hit me that I was mostly pissed because you stayed honest with yourself.

I'd look for every excuse for myself and get exhausted. It only went to show I wasn't as 'good' as I tried to act but it was only for what people would think of me. You just didn't seem to mind it and never had selfish motives like me, so I was jealous."

I counted every piece of chocolate, apprehensive and embarrassed to have the angel looking at me. I had been a fake all along. He was the real thing.

Unexpectedly, a barrel of laughter came from the blonde. I peeked and only saw amusement twinkling there. "What's so funny?"

"Everything you just said." He claimed. "I've never had a girl be jealous of me. It's usually the guy I picked over her. This is... wow, okay." He snuck a glance out of the window and scooted closer. "Let me tell you a little something then. Keep it just between us."

I nodded, all ears.

"I didn't really like you before."

In all my life, I'd never been delivered a blow to the chest so out of the blue. I wasn't sure how to take it.

"It wasn't that you did anything wrong, okay?" He hastily assured. "It's more of a reflex thing. Garren has flings constantly. Thankfully not as much as Benny but it still stresses me out."