Betrayal

The next day at school, I look everywhere for Kieran. But, I could not find him anywhere. 

At lunch, I was sat with just Kay.

When Dory approaches us and sits down.

"Hey, Aven, can I talk to you quickly?" Dory says softly.

"Yeah of course, just me?" I ask, standing up.

"Yes please" I look at Kay for a moment, who just shrugs. I follow Dory towards the small cafe in the common room, we sit down at a table and I just look at her.

"Kieran's asked me on a date." My heart shatters in one second.

"What?" I stutter. "Are you joking?"

"No, I'm sorry."

"Dory, I went on a date with him last night."

"I know, I'm sorry Aven." She whispers.

"He doesn't deserve either of us." I tell her.

"This what I was going to tell you about, I'm going to go on the date with him." She tells me softly. 

"What?" My mouth is wide open in shock. 

"I'm sorry Aven, but I really like him and I think he really likes me." Dory says to me.

"Yeah Dory, and I really like him and I thought he liked me" A tear slips down my cheek, and I get up and storm out of the small cafe, going back to Kay. 

Much to my dismay, Kieran was sat opposite Kay chatting away. 

I rub my tears away. 

"Av, what's wrong?" Kay quickly asks me as I stand there. 

"Come on, Kay" I tell her, grabbing my bag and putting it on my shoulder. 

"Av, let's talk about this, please." Kieran says, standing up. 

"No Kieran" 

"Av" 

"What's happened?" Kay asks, looking between us. 

"Kieran, here, thinks it's okay to take me out for a date and kiss me, then the next day I get told that he has asked Dory on a date. Dory of all people." I try my best not to cry, but a tear slips down my cheek. 

"Aven, please." He steps forward and attempts to wipe my tear away. But, I immediately step backwards to stop him. 

"You don't get to talk to her after what you did." Kay stands up and moves to next to me putting her arm around me. "Come on Av, you don't need him." 

The rest of the day drags on. I spend most of it trying to avoid Kieran. He attempts to talk to me in passing corridors but my only goal of today was to ignore him and Dory. 

After school, I walk home, my bag clenched on my shoulder.

Kieran runs up beside me, huffing and puffing air. 

"I don't want to talk to you, Kieran." 

"Please, Aven" 

"No" I turn to him. "I have had the worst thing ever happen to me. And you helped me through it. Now, you are breaking my heart." I cry at him, turning around at the end and leaving him stunned. 

When I get home, I fall into Jadon's arms sobbing. 

"Av" He whispers. "What's happened? Is it your period? Is it mum? What's happened? Talk to me lovely." 

"Kieran" I mumble in between my cries. 

"What did he do, Aven?" He whispers.

"It feels like he is cheating on me but we aren't together like that." 

Jadon's teeth clenches. 

"What happened?" 

"He asked Dory on a date and she pulled me aside and told me she was going." 

"Oh Aven, I'm so sorry, I know how much you liked him." 

"I like him so much, Jadon. Apart from our family, I have never felt as much love as I have with him." 

"I'm so sorry, Aven" He whispers, hugging me tight, giving me a kiss on my head. "Let's get you upstairs, put some comfy clothes on and we'll watch a film together." 

"Ok" I leave his arms, feeling cold and going upstairs. I sink to the floor and cry again. 

"Jadon" I whisper. He had just walked into my room, I was sat on my bed, wiping my face.

"Hey" He crouches in front of me. 

"Can I tell you something and you won't get mad at me?" I whisper, looking at my lap. 

"I can't promise, Av. It depends what it is." 

"Please don't tell dad." I mumble to him. Lifting my t-shirt to show him my tattoo. 

He stares at it and I stare at him. 

"When? Where?" He says with gritted teeth. 

"Few weeks ago, at Kieran's cousins place, I'm sorry Jadon." I whisper, my voice cracking half way through. 

"What does it mean, Aven?" He growls, tracing a finger over the hearts. 

"It means that Kieran and I will always be close to each other, and have each others backs. I drew this one," I point to the top heart, "and, he drew this one." I point to the other. 

"Now, he has broken your heart." Jadon shakes his head at me. 

"I'm sorry." I whisper again. 

"You wait until you're eighteen and we tell dad I took you and it means you will always love us, do you understand?" He tells me sternly, taking hold of both my arms. 

"Yes, I'm really sorry, Jadon. I didn't mean for this to happen." I tell him, a tear slipping. 

"I'm glad you told me. Come on, let's get some ice cream and watch a film." 

Author's Note: 

I cannot believe it's taken me six months to post the next chapter... :( 

Oops.

Posted: 27.03.24