𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1

Anna had always felt a magnetic pull towards the ocean. The rhythmic crash of waves whispered to her soul, and the salty breeze kissed her skin like an old friend. At eleven, she discovered her true connection to the sea through surfing.

Every morning, Anna would rise before the sun, grab her board, and sprint towards the waiting waves. As she paddled out, her worries melted away, replaced by the serene embrace of the ocean. Each ride was a dance, a conversation between girl and sea. The board became an extension of herself, responding to her every command.

Through surfing, Anna learned the ebb and flow of life's challenges. She faced towering waves that mirrored her fears and conquered them with grace. The ocean taught her patience, resilience, and a deep respect for nature's power.

Years passed, and her connection to the ocean grew stronger. She became a guardian of the waves, advocating for their protection. And as she rode the waves, she knew that, in the vast expanse of the sea, she had found her truest self, a girl forever connected to the ocean's timeless rhythm.

Anna and her mother, Lisa, had always shared a deep bond, one forged by their love for the ocean. Surfing together was their sanctuary, a place where worries washed away with the tide.

On a sun-drenched morning, they paddled out to their cherished spot, the sun casting a golden glow on the horizon. The scent of salt and the sound of gulls filled the air as they prepared to ride the waves. Laughter echoed between them as they caught one wave after another.

But beneath the surface, a shadow lurked, a predator stalking its prey. A sudden jolt sent shivers through Anna. She turned, terror in her eyes, as a great white shark breached the surface, its jaws clamping down on her board. Splintering fiberglass filled the water, and Anna's heart raced as her mother, Lisa, instinctively shielded her daughter.

In the frantic struggle to escape, Anna's stomach was grazed by the shark's razor-sharp teeth, leaving her with a painful gash. Lisa's voice broke through the chaos, soothing Anna's panic, even as the shark circled them. With desperate strength, she swam towards shore, her arms slicing through the water, and the shark in relentless pursuit.

Anna's heart pounded, her injured stomach aching. Finally, she reached the shallows, her body trembling with exhaustion. But as she glanced back, her relief turned to heartbreak. The shark had retreated, but Lisa was gone, her board floating empty in the water.

Anna collapsed on the beach, clutching her wounded stomach, tears mingling with the salt on her cheeks. Her mother was gone, taken by the merciless sea. Everyone thought the scar on Anna's stomach was the only one she accumulated that day, but little did they know, the tragedy etched a scar on Anna's heart that would never fully heal.

In the years that followed, Anna pushed herself harder than ever before. She finished rehab and continued to surf, not in defiance of the sea's dangers but as a tribute to her mother's memory. Each wave became a bittersweet reminder of the day they shared their final ride together, forever connected to the ocean that had both given and taken so much from them.

I woke up gasping for air after just reliving a traumatic event, I often had nightmares after the incident, they never went away. I turned over to look at my bedside table, peering at the alarm clock that read 5:12am, there was no way I was going to get back to sleep now, I may as well get some extra training in.

Getting up out of bed I went to my bathroom that was connected to my bedroom, washing my face with some cold water, I decided to get into some bathers pulling denim shorts and a graphic tee over the top, and heading down to the beach that was right outside my house. I paddled out to the waves on my long board, I was only planning on having a fun little surf to cool down a bit before going for a run.

As I was leaving the beach, I noticed that there was a lot more people around then usual, and that only reminded me of the impending fact that Shorehaven was hosting a major surfing competition that I was going to participate in. I haven't competed in a comp for 2 years since my mum passed away, I tried to, but it always felt different without her. But with Ari back and everyone surfing so good lately Manu begged me to come compete again as Shorehaven finally may have a chance at winning something. It took a lot of convincing, but I reluctantly agreed to sign up for a few competitions to get Shorehaven's points up.

I couldn't lie I was very nervous for the competition this afternoon; I have been practicing so much lately and I know I'm a good surfer, but I don't know if I'm good enough. Although I don't do comps anymore, I still go down to the beach most weekends to support my friends and I know that they are all good, I don't know if I would even stand a chance against them.

I knew this negativity wasn't going to help me at all so I put my headphones on to drown the bad thoughts out, listening to my specific 'get in the zone' playlist and started gathering everything I would need in my bag, once I was ready I decided to start heading down to the beach even though my heat wasn't for another couple of hours it would still be nice to get there early to support my friends and get ready.

As I made it to the beach, I heard someone talk over the loudspeaker 'Things are about to kick off here at the Shorehaven Pro Juniors. Over the next two days, the very best young surfers on this circuit will battle it out as they start their quest for the selection on the state team.' Hearing the commentator made me even more nervous, but I knew I couldn't show anyone I was afraid, so I put on a strong face, held my head up high, and started to wander down the beach trying to spot my best friend Poppy.

After wandering around for what felt like ages, I finally found Poppy with another one of my friends Bodhi dancing in the parking lot. I walked over to them, when Poppy turned around and saw me, she started squealing, 'Anna', running over to me, and leaping into my arms, she was excited that I was going to compete again, probably more excited than myself.

After saying high and just catching up a bit I notice bodhi's looking off into the distance focussing on something, as I turn around, I spot Ari talking to a girl I've never seen before. Ari walks away from her, and she was left standing alone in the parking lot, so I decided to go introduce myself who knows, maybe she needs a friend.

I walk up to the mystery girl and introduce myself; she tells me her name is summer and she's stuck here staying with some family friends while her mums away on a work trip. Soon Poppy and Bodhi come up beside me to introduce themselves too, Bodhi asks summer how she knows Ari, summer didn't really respond she just let out a miserable sigh saying oh crap before walking away. 'I wonder what that was about' I stated, 'she's a bit of a weird one, isn't she' bodhi replied, 'hey don't be mean, I'm sure she's lovely' Poppy interrupted.

'I'm going to go prepare for my heat ill see you guys later' I told Pops and Bodhi before walking away and turning my music up as far as it could go. I had a very specific routine I followed on comp days that had to be done.