𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 2

'this is the final warning, the u16 girls heat is starting in three minutes' I heard the commentator announce, my nerves were at an all-time high, I was lucky I didn't have to go against Pops or Bodhi, cause they were in different heats, which made me feel relieved in a way, instead I was versing 3 random people, I want to win for my mother.

I heard the commentator starting to talk about my heat when I heard him mention me 'now this is a very big opportunity for Anna Langley in the blue, it's her first time back in a couple of years, so the pressure is definitely on, this young superstar was the 4 time state champion 3 years ago, but left the circuit due to injury, now she's looking at making a comeback, lets see what she brings to the table' well he certainly wasn't wrong about feeling pressure, I needed to win this for my mum.

As I paddle out into the competition lineup, the atmosphere is electric. The roaring cheers of the crowd on the beach echo in the back of my mind. This is a moment I've trained for, the culmination of countless hours of preparation and dedication.

The judges' tent feels tall, overseeing the lineup, and I can feel their eyes on me. My competitors, equally skilled and hungry for victory, are scattered around me, waiting for their chances. The pressure is on, but it's a pressure that fuels my determination.

The siren sounds, signalling the start of my heat. I scan the horizon, searching for the best wave to ride. The waves at the Shorehaven break are larger and more powerful than I remember, demanding a higher level of skill and precision.

I spot it-a set wave approaching, a towering wall of water. Without hesitation, I start paddling hard, my heart racing. I paddle as fast as I physically can until I'm way ahead of all the other girls. The wave picks me up, and I feel the raw power beneath me. With a burst of adrenaline, I spring to my feet, positioning myself perfectly on the wave.

Every move I make now counts. I execute a series of fluid turns and manoeuvrers, showcasing my skill and style. I can sense the judges scrutinizing my every move, evaluating the intricacies of each turn.

The wave continues to offer opportunities, and I seize them, pushing myself to the limit. I take risks, perform critical manoeuvrers close to the wave's breaking point. The crowd on the beach erupts in cheers and applause as I approach the final section of the wave. With a flourish, I execute a stunning aerial manoeuvre, defying gravity for a moment. The judges take notice, and the cheers grow even louder.

With a controlled exit, I finish my ride, my heart still pounding. I paddle back to the lineup, my mind racing with excitement and anticipation. I've given it my all, and now I await the scores that will determine my fate in the competition.

As I paddle out into the lineup, the anticipation builds inside me. The saltwater splashes against my face, and the sun's warmth beats down on my back. The ocean stretches out before me, a vast canvas of endless possibilities.

As soon as I knew it, the siren sounds again and we all start to paddle towards the shore, I make it to the beach and the commentator announces over the loudspeaker that I won, I got trampled by all my friends congratulating me for winning my heat, but its not over yet I still have the finals in the morning. I can't help but to think about my mum in this moment, I know she would have been proud, she always was no matter the outcome of my surfing competitions.

Pops told me that she was throwing a party tonight and that I needed to come and socialize, reluctantly I agreed, wanting to celebrate my win today, well still being conscious of the fact I have a final in the morning.