Day 5, Race/species

Link was smart and observant. He knew his Princess, without ever sharing a word with her. So he knew she couldn't be left alone, even though he wasn't inside Gerudo Town.

Set before the memory when the Clan attacked Zelda.

Tags: Gen, Champions & Link, Humor, Pre-BotW

Link knew the layout of Gerudo Town. He studied maps of the settlement with his father, noting the best places for armies and guards when the Yiga Clan threatened the race. He knew the secret entrances, the shops and homes, and the throne room.

And he knew where the inn was.

Knowing these things never really came in handy for Link until he became the Princess's appointed guard. He was her only real line of defense, yet he wasn't allowed inside the Town. He knew the Gerudo were allowed to provide exemptions to the no men rule for very special occasions. But if he had to guess, Link would bet Zelda told Chieftan Urbosa to keep him outside.

That didn't stop him, however.

"Thank you, Sir Link," Zelda said curtly, before turning her back and waltzing into town. Unaccompanied. Wonderful.

Urbosa chuckled. "She is safe here, Sir Link, thanks to your edits to our guard's schedule. You can go to the Kara Kara Bazzar and relax a while. I will send a guard to get you if Zelda leaves the premises."

Link always liked Urbosa. She was kind and thoughtful, and Zelda loved her like a mother. So when she suggested it, Link almost followed her instruction, considering the nap he could take in the little inn. But then he go ahold of himself and remembered he had a job to do and Urbosa wasn't the one who could dismiss him. He worked only for the Princesses.

So, he waited for Urbosa to retreat inside, and without making eye contact with the guards outside, he walked along the great wall, chugging an elixir to help with the heat. He trudged through the sand, staying undetected by windows and guards until he was by the inn window.

Zelda wouldn't be done with her meeting with Urbosa until after dinner, since she was dining with them as well. Link knew she loved Urbosa too much to try and escape under her watch because, unlike him, she enjoyed Urbosa's company. Yet Zelda wasn't able to see the Divine Beast Vah Naboris until tomorrow.

So, Link remained by the inn window. And he waited.

Later that evening, after a meal seasoned with sand and a nap if only to pass the time, Zelda was due back to her room at the inn. So Link stood by the window and waited, listening to Zelda rustle around the room through the open window. She seemed to be changing, then getting supplies ready. Link chuckled to himself, knowing he was right about her.

His suspicions were absolutely confirmed when the curtains were thrown open and Zelda tossed a bag around, clanging with Sheikah tools and parts. Not very subtle.

Zelda slowly, with loud sounds of effort, shimmied out of the window. Link almost laughed. It wasn't the best way to approach the situation. If she'd talk to him, he'd tell her the best way to escape a window, the way he was trained to in emergencies.

Zelda tumbled from the window and yelped when she landed in the sand. Link stood, leaning against the wall while she stood, dusted the sand from her pants, and gathered up her bag.

She was about to take one step when Link cleared his throat.

Zelda whipped around and stared at him, startled out of her whits. He gave her an apologetic glance and a quick sign for "sorry."

"Sir Link. I figured you'd be enjoying your leave," she said, breathless and clearly annoyed she'd been caught.

"You never dismissed me," he signed.

Zelda looked at him, furious.

Link smirked. "Where are you going? "

"I was going to Vah Naboris, since you caught me."

"Let's get going. Do you have a light?"

Now her stare turned to that of shock. She sputtered before nodding. Link walked toward the Beast not far from the Town. Zelda could only follow silently.

He snuck her back inside before dawn. He'd never been so happy he didn't sleep.  

Making up stories of Link in Gerudo Town is so fun. Comments and votes bring me life <3