Day 19, Zonai

Zonai technology, and the ones that have to use it.

Tags: Gen, totk

The things Zelda learned in the past would be enough to fill libraries. The Zonai were fascinating, and it was refreshing to learn about new technology after she ordered all the Sheikah tech in the kingdom destroyed. She wondered if the Sheikah had looked into the Zonai, after Zelda had taken in interest in them. She couldn't wait to get back and show them all she saw and tell them all she learned.

If she ever returned home...

No, she chided herself, on those long, long nights where she thought she heard Link's voice on the wind. You must get home. You simply have no other choice.

Not that she didn't feel at home where she was. Sonia and Rauru were nothing but kind to her, and everyone she came across, whether Hylian or Zonai, were friendly and accommodating. She had a ton of fun going around and looking at the different mines and learning about the constructs. It was all incredibly interesting. They seemed to be more advanced than the Divine Beasts, creatures she once thought to be the greatest technological feats the people of Hyrule ever made. Boy, had she been mistaken.

A few researchers and Mineru took her to a testing area, where they made and kept a lot of the tech. They let her try the wings and emitters, and every time she tried something new or heard about how they worked, she couldn't help but thing how much Link would love all this stuff. He wasn't into technology like she was, but he was creative. He came up with the best uses for the technologies they had at their disposal back in her Hyrule. His ideas were imaginative, although not always practical.

It hit her hard every time she remembered he wasn't there to listen to her talk about it. Every time she turned around to show him something she was brutally reminded that he was no longer by her side all the time to listen to her ramblings.

The first time Link saw what the Zonai created, his first thought was of Zelda, and how much she would enjoy the many different things they created. The constructs, wings, weaponry and shields, everything was right up her ally. He could bet that if she were given even a day on the Great Sky Island she would find out much more than he had.

But she wasn't there, despite what the construct said. It was strange and disappointing and hit Link harder than he would ever let on. He didn't even let the constructs see him cry.

Even without Zelda there to help him, he learned all he could about the new technology. It appeared to be unaffected by the Calamity and Upheaval. It was powerful, virtually indestructible, and versatile. Light, strong, and reliable. All good things. And even better, most of the technology did not seem to have a mind of their own like the Guardians once did.

Maybe, Link thought, this stuff would actually be helpful, instead od trying to kill him at every turn.

And he did, eventually, begin to have fun with it.  

Who wants to bet Link has an intense fear of robots after the guardians and has a mini heart attack every time a construct moves because they make similar machine noises.