CHAPTER 4 Like the Old Days

As Remus and Sirius left the Ministry of Magic, their hands still tightly intertwined, they couldn't help but notice the profound changes in the wizarding world around them. The news of Sirius's release had spread like wildfire, and the reactions were mixed. Some witches and wizards hailed him as a hero, a victim of a grave miscarriage of justice, while others remained skeptical, unwilling to believe that the infamous Sirius Black was innocent.

They walked through Diagon Alley, their steps steady and resolute. The bustling street was a stark contrast to the cold, desolate prison Sirius had endured for over a decade. There were curious stares and hushed whispers as people recognized them, but Remus and Sirius paid little attention. They had faced far worse than curious onlookers.

As they passed by Flourish and Blotts, Professor McGonagall appeared out of the crowd, her stern expression breaking into a warm smile at the sight of her former students.

"Mr. Lupin, Mr. Black," she greeted them, her eyes sparkling with a mixture of relief and happiness. "Words cannot express how pleased I am with today's revelations?"

Remus nodded, his gratitude evident. "Thank you, Professor. We're taking it one step at a time."

Sirius gave a crooked smile, his eyes still holding a touch of weariness. "Feels strange to be out in the open after all those years."

McGonagall's gaze softened. "I can't begin to imagine what you've been through, Mr. Black. But I'm delighted that justice has prevailed."

Their conversation was interrupted by the arrival of Albus Dumbledore, his long white beard flowing gracefully as always. His eyes twinkled as he looked at Sirius and Remus.

"Gentlemen, I must say, I always knew the truth would come to light," Dumbledore said, his voice holding a note of deep satisfaction.

Remus and Sirius exchanged glances, grateful for the headmaster's unwavering belief in Sirius's innocence.

"Thank you, Professor Dumbledore," Sirius replied, his voice more steady now. "It means a great deal to us."

Dumbledore's gaze then shifted to Remus, his eyes filled with compassion. "And how do you feel now, Mr. Lupin?"

Remus smiled, his heart touched by Dumbledore's concern. "Having Sirius back is a tremendous relief." Professor Dumbledore's eyes twinkled with understanding. He placed a hand on Sirius's shoulder and spoke with a soothing tone.

"Indeed, it must be a tremendous relief," Dumbledore said, his gaze flickering between the two old friends. "You both have endured hardships that few can comprehend."

With a gentle smile, Dumbledore continued, "I would suggest that you go and rest for now. Tomorrow, we shall meet to discuss important matters. There is much to be done, but for today, take solace in the fact that justice has prevailed."

Remus and Sirius exchanged grateful glances once more. Dumbledore's wisdom and leadership were a source of comfort in these uncertain times.

"Thank you, Professor," Sirius said, his voice filled with sincerity.

Remus nodded in agreement. "We'll be ready to meet tomorrow."

The moon hung low in the night sky, casting a silvery glow over the forest that surrounded Remus Lupin's small cottage. The winding path that led to the cottage was dappled with moonlight and shadow, and the air was filled with the soothing sounds of rustling leaves and distant owls. As Remus and Sirius approached, their footsteps on the gravel path seemed almost too loud in the tranquil night.

The cottage, though modest in size, held an undeniable charm. It was constructed from aged stone and timeworn wood, its facade adorned with creeping ivy that wove intricate patterns on its surface. Soft lamplight emanated from the windows, casting a warm and inviting glow that contrasted beautifully with the surrounding darkness.