It's Not The Same Anymore

I've spent many months just hating on myselfI can't keep wishing things will be differentOr leaving problems on the shelfI wish I didn't need to get helpBut I do

I can't keep wishing things will be different
Or leaving problems on the shelf
I wish I didn't need to get help
But I do

-Rex Orange County

✧ ✶

FRIDAY - November 6th, 1986

DIANA

The wind viciously howled through the towering evergreen hedges of the maze, their twisted branches reaching out like hands, ready to grab me. Panic clawed at my chest as the rushed footsteps behind me drew nearer, each one echoing through the labyrinthine passages. My name drifted through the air, distorted by a menacing voice that sent shivers down my spine.

"DIANA!"

In the darkness of the maze, my heart pounded, and every turn only seemed to lead me deeper into the hands of my relentless pursuer. It was freezing cold, and I could just barely see my breath in the air, my only source of light being the moonlight above. Running into yet another dead end, I felt myself starting to panic.

"DIANA!" The blood-curdling voice called in the distance, causing me to push myself even harder, running faster as I turned another corner. Frantically, I looked left, then right, realizing I had met a dead end, and my only choice now was to turn back around.

The night seemed to grow darker, the wind colder as I spun around, knowing that there was no way forward. My heart raced to the beat of fear. The footsteps drew nearer, and the air filled with a guttural growling, like a predator lurking in the shadows.

I had to think fast. With no other option, I pressed my back against the towering hedge, trying as hard as I could to blend into the darkness. Moonlight painted my silhouette, but I hoped it wasn't enough to give me away. My breath came in short, shallow gasps as I willed myself to be as still as humanly possible.

My heart pounded like a drum, drowning out all sound except for my shallow breaths. The footsteps grew louder, and the growling more menacing. I clung to the hope that I would go unnoticed, squeezing my eyes shut in terror.

Suddenly, as if the maze itself had conspired against me, the footsteps ceased abruptly. My heart skipped a beat, and I cautiously opened my eyes again. There he stood.

Billy.

He was human-like, but twisted beyond recognition. His razor-sharp teeth glistened in the moonlight, his bloodshot red eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. Blood stained his large, clawed hands.

"There you are, Dollface," he hissed, his deep voice dripping with malice, sending a chill down my spine.

I was trapped, cornered in the darkness with this nightmarish version of someone I once loved. The cold wind seemed to hold its breath, as if even nature itself feared what would happen next.