ICU

I've been playing deadMy whole lifeAnd I get this feelingWhenever I feel goodIt'll be the last time

My whole life
And I get this feeling
Whenever I feel good
It'll be the last time

But I feel something
When I see you now

-Phoebe Bridgers

✶ ✧ ❃ ✧ ✶

SUNDAY - November 8th, 1986

DIANA

The living room was bathed in the soft, golden glow of Sunday afternoon as I sat in a recliner, Dad in his usual spot on the couch. His familiar, quiet snores filled the room as football played on the TV.

A plaid blanket lay across Dad's lap, a tradition from countless Sundays past. The comforting aroma of homemade chili cooling on the stove wafted through the air, adding to the cozy atmosphere. I found solace in this familiar routine, a break from the abrasiveness of the world.

As I mindlessly watched the game, nostalgia washed over me, taking me back to simpler, more innocent times. I missed the days before life's hardships had touched me. Back when I'd squeeze between my parents on the sofa, listening to them as they yelled at the TV.

Suddenly, the ringing phone on the wall jolted me out of my thoughts. With a glance at a somehow still-sleeping Dad, I got up and made my way to answer it. The ringing echoed through the house, and I found myself slightly hoping for it to be one person in particular.

"Hello?" I said, speaking into the white receiver.

"Hey. It's me," Eddie's voice quietly responds. I could hear the sound of muted voices in the background, making me wonder what he was up to. "You busy?"

I peek back at Dad before replying, watching his chest rise and fall as another snore slipped out.
"No. Why?"

"Uh," he started— not a good sign. "I'm at the police station. Chief Hopper wanted to know if you could meet him down here."

"Me? Right now?"

"Yeah...I told him I'd pass the message along to you. Figured it was better than him showing up to your place while your Dad is home," he says, sounding almost as if he was holding himself back from saying more. "I'll wait here for you."

"Wait, wait," I stammered, trying to keep my voice low so I didn't wake Dad. "Are we in trouble?"

"No."

Eddie's quick answer made me think it was almost too good to be true. There was no way Billy hadn't squealed. Hopper had to have known. Why else would he want me to come in?

"Fine," I said, resting my head against the wall and letting out a frustrated sigh. "I'll be there in ten."

"Drive safe."