Crossing Paths-2

Continues...

A few days ago, to Holi, Luthra Mansion, 8 p.m.

"Aah there, come here, Rishabh. You do know that Kapoors are back in India, right?" Kareena called out to Rishabh and his wife, Aasha, who had just returned from work. "Yes, Bua, my employees are already working on getting an appointment. We will get it soon, hopefully". He replied immediately, knowing very well what his Bua intended to speak. "Great, but we already got one. Kapoors are hosting a Holi party, and belonging to the elite class, we have received an invite. Look here", she showed him the invitation hamper. Rishabh sat down, sighing, knowing she wouldn't stop any sooner. 

The hamper basket was oval in shape and had a few boxes, a champagne bottle, and a small silver box. The smallest box had an invitation card addressing an opening note and details of the party, while the other was a box of various types of sweets, and then there were a few boxes of dry fruits. Another box opened up with color samples in it. The last was a tiny blue velvet case box. It had a miniature pichkari and bucket, both made of silver, and a small silver plate of Radha and Krishna. And last, there was a pouch that had two silver sikkhas. 

Rishabh could see why Kapoors were so famous for their extravagance. He can envision his Bua fawning all over the Kapoors in the upcoming months. What not will she do to get a single project from them. The hampers are a usual norm in their social circle. Every family tried their best to make their hamper unique in their way. But the Holi hampers from Kapoors left Rishabh blown out. Silver sikkhas were common in the hampers, but no one had ever sent silver articles. They were also sent one of the best champagnes in the country, Moet and Chandon Brut. No doubt, his Bua is unable to contain her excitement and planning about grabbing deals and dining with them. He could see why Kapoors overshadowed every party, even in their absence. They were a part of discussions at every party. The elite class compared themselves with Kapoors, competing with them. They made a mark that couldn't be erased in the past 30 years. They were like the touchstone in every aspect.

Aasha, who was standing behind her husband, was annoyed by Kareena's lack of sensibility. She looked over to see her mother-in-law, who, despite witnessing the entire scene, chose to remain mum just like always. 

"Buaji, You do realise that Rishabh left the house at 8 in the morning, right? Can't you see he is tired? But no, you had to live in your own bubble, like always. You may not care about my husband's well-being, but I do. You can continue this show after his dinner. So please excuse us." Aasha pulled Rishabh with her to the stairs. 

"How dare you? Who do you think you are to speak to me like this? You are so mannerless. You have no class and sense to understand how big this opportunity is. You don't know its value. You don't care for our business..." her words trailed in the background as the couple left, or say the wife dragged her husband up the stairs without paying heed to the ruckus downstairs. 

"You shouldn't have said that to Bua. She is hurt." Rishabh made a statement to his wife. 

"Great, now am I at fault for caring for you? What's new with your Bua? She would be hurt by everything and taunts me every day regarding something or the other. You said you were tired while we were coming back. Are you not tired of listening to your Bua's annoying rants?" Aasha replied, settling her bag and going through her wardrobe. 

"She is talking about business. This is a huge opportunity indeed. And I would have told her if I was exhausted or hungry. I can take care of myself. You need not fight her for me", he replied, pulling out his nightwear. She responded with the bang of the bathroom door closed. She was angry. He sat down, eyes closed, waiting to apologize once she was out. 

Rishabh hated to come home to drama daily. His mother doesn't interrupt; even if she does, she is mostly unsuccessful. His Dadi sides with his Bua, and his father is the only one who can cut their irrational talks. His brothers wouldn't care, and he would get an earful about everything, including his brothers' behavior. He wanted peace.