The Marshal

Matthew Griffin leaned back in his chair, kicking his feet on his desk and crossing his hands behind his neck. Looking out the window, he marveled at how peaceful the town of Silent Plains, Colorado seemed. A little over a month ago, the Lager Gang had ransacked the town, leaving three dead and several wounded.  Two buildings were burnt down-- the Mayor's house and the Sheriff's house-- and the Sheriff was drug from his bed and shot in the street by Jack Fuller, the gang's leader.

Matthew closed his eyes, resting. He was aware that Fuller knew he had arrived, yet unbothered, waiting for Fuller to come to him. Jack Fuller was no stranger to crime; he had been a source of trouble since he was 13 years old. He had started off rustling cattle, before moving to gun fighting, and finally starting a gang, picking up other miscreants who enjoyed wreaking havoc as much as he did. Fuller had eyes on the town and would have known Matthew had arrived shortly after his horse stepped past the welcome sign late last night. 

The door opened, causing Matthew's eyes to flick open. A young man in his early 20s stood at the doorway, gasping for breath. 

"Sorry Marshal! I uh- I-," He stopped to catch his breath. "I ran as soon as I heard you were here." He walked up to Matthew. "I'm uh- the Deputy." He stuck his hand out, "Johnny Walsh."

Matthew squinted, glancing down at the shiny gold deputy badge on the boy's vest. "You got any coffee here?" He questioned, still leaned back in the chair.

Johnny waited a moment, then dropped his hand. "Yes, sir, I'll go and make some real quick." 

~

When Johnny returned with a cup of thick, black, coffee, Matthew still hadn't moved and appeared to be sleeping. Setting the coffee cup down, the deputy tried his best not to wake him but was interrupted.

"Matthew Griffin," Matthew said, sitting up and reaching for the coffee.

Johnny moved, grabbing a chair. "Oh, we know who you are. The whole towns' thankful that you came." 

Matthew blew at the steam forming above his coffee, watching Johnny drag the chair up to his desk. Johnny glanced at him expectedly, sitting down. 

When it remained quiet, Johnny spoke up again. "The whole towns' scared to death of 'em. 'specially the Mayor. He lets 'em have whatever they want - food, whiskey, tobacco - " he paused for a moment before adding, "women."

Matthew looked up from his cup before taking another sip. "Where's the Mayor at now?"

"He's holed up at the hotel down the street. Won't see anybody."

The Marshall nodded before downing the rest of his coffee. Standing up, he walked towards the door, setting his cup on a shelf and grabbing his hat. Johnny rose, following him.

"You can stay. Watch the desk." Matthew ordered whilst walking out the door. Johnny sat down, dejectedly.

~

The rhythmic thud of heavy boots drew attention of the people along the street. Matthew walked along the boardwalk, staring straight ahead. The sun glared down from the sky, reflecting off his silver badge. He stopped in front of the hotel, looking behind him briefly at the staring locals before walking inside. 

Matthew glanced around before spotting a short, old woman sweeping the floor. "Which room is the mayor in?" He asked impatiently as he walked up to her.

The woman stared as his badge as she answered. "Third room on the right, but he won't see anyone." Matthew had already walked away before she could finish.

The door to the Mayor's room swung up, Marshal Matthew Griffin standing in the doorway.

The Mayor looked up from his plate of food, shocked. "Who are you and wha-" He stopped when he saw the badge. "Oh.. Marshall, I'm glad you could come." He folded his napkin and stood up, approaching the Marshall hesitantly. "You won't believe what they've been doing to my town, they-"

Matthew interrupted him, "When are they coming back?"

"I'm not sure, they don't give us a schedule," They mayor chuckled, but stopped when the Marshall squinted at him with cool, threatening eyes. "They, uh.. They said they'd come back tonight for more food." He hurriedly responded before stepping back to his seat at the table. 

Matthew turned and walked out the door. "Let me know when they give you their schedules again," he bluntly demanded. 

As Matthew walked out of the hotel, a commotion across the street caught his eye. A crowd of people were standing together, murmuring and confused. He pushed his way through the crowd to see they were standing around a young, light brown haired girl from the east. Sitting up but with her blue dress tangled beneath her and a confused look on her face, she looked like she had recently fainted. 

"Is everything okay, miss?" Matthew questioned as she looked up at him.