chapter 4

her to you. mine to me.

CHAPTER FOUR

author: because rue should have been offered a contract extension </3
funny how i started writing this after rue's contract expired. now she's at lcl and her bestie's name is georgia.

warning: swearing

"morning georgy"

i see rue walk into training with a smile and a pre-workout shaker. it had been a couple of weeks since our conversation about fake dating and we had been visibly "flirting" in front of everyone. i had gotten a few questions and a few comments from the girls and i know rue had gotten the same too. she sat down next to me and chucked an arm around the back of my chair but not quite around me.
i leaned in and whispered into rue's ear.
"do you think it's time?" i ask, then i sit back and wait for her response. she smiles and moves her arm from my chair to my knee, gripping onto my skin. something that a friend would not do.
i knew that was a yes. it had to be.
we waited for the rest of the girls to join us. rue and i were always the early birds.
my stomach dropped when i saw the girls finally shuffle in a few groups at a time.

"ruesha littlejohn you snake!" rachel daly walks through the gates and smiles at us.
"what's wrong dales? jealous?"
rachel snickers and pretends to choke ruesha, leading rue to stand up and almost jump on rach. the two walk off with arms around each other.

until rue pulls away from rachel and runs back to me. she lifts my chin with her pointer finger and thumb so i'm looking at her. our faces were centimetres apart and i knew what was coming next. i hold onto her arm that's holding my face.
"can i? while everyone's looking?" she says, and i nod.
she kisses me so gently, as if i could break under her touch. i feel her want more and our lips move together, so synchronised. then come the cheers.
i hear our team burst out into applause and cheering and i wave them away with my hand that's not on rue's arm. she pulls away and i feel cold again, but also relieved. i hate pda but i knew that's what had to happen.
"go do your physio exercises loser" she walks away with a smile and i watch her wipe her lip with her thumb as she returns to the arm of rachel daly.
i did as told and returned to the gym to work on my strengthening exercises, turning back to take one last look at rue.
i smiled when i turned back towards the gate. just feeling a sense of belonging when i was with rue.

i had been off my crutches for a little bit less then two weeks now and so far it's been tedious. every day i do the same strengthening exercises, ankle alphabets, calf raises and resistance band exercises. i watched over the field as my friends were in training. i missed it, but i know i'd be back to it soon. i grabbed my phone out and took a photo of rue as she assisted a goal and quickly sent it to her with a smile. i put two loveheart eye emojis with the photo and continued to smile at my phone.
"whatcha up to chick?"
i almost jumped out of my skin when i heard emily's voice.
"jesus em warning next time please" i turned off my phone and hid it deep in my pocket to avoid suspicion. instead it brought more suspicion.
"you alright?" she stood away from me and looked puzzled at my actions.
"yeah yeah, just getting some bike time before i start my ankle rehab" i continued to ride the bike acting as if nothing happened.
"yeah that's not really what i was asking about g. and i think you know that" she sat down on the bike next to me and started cycling herself.
emily gielnik had been my teammate for years now. we both played for australia and aston villa. we weren't all that close but we still got along quite well and we always had this deep understanding of each other.
"so who's on your phone?" she smirked, knewing she had hit the jackpot of drama.
"um rue?" i smiled back, not really knowing how to go about the confessing.
"ohh as if!" she continued her devil-like smirk as she leaned back on her bike with her hands on her hips "that's kinda cute, the blonde and the brunette"
"yeah well, she's been by my side through my injury and it's been really lovely spending time with her. i guess she thought the same" i continued to look out at the training field, my eyes only being drawn to ruesha.
"what happened to katie?"
i felt my heart began to beat faster at the mention of katie mccabe. i knew what happened between them and i'm sure katie's arsenal teammates knew too. however i also knew that telling emily wasn't the best idea considering it wasn't my place.
"uhh not too sure" i replied so blunt, hoping she would get the hint and leave it. the last game of the season was approaching fast and i knew that the news would come out soon after that.
i continued to mind my own business and it seemed as if emily had too.
silence fell between us. again, we weren't super close, so neither of us had the urge to tell each other secrets or update each other on our lives. so we stayed there, cycling next to each other, randomly telling each other when we were changing the settings on the bike.
it was never awkward though. we had been through a lot being on the same teams. we were comfortable with each other and i knew neither of us had anything to hide. well uh.
except for the fact that ruesha and i weren't real.
"hi gorgeous" i looked up to meet rue's eyes and i immediately beamed at the presence of her.
"hey" i blushed, so profoundly.
"oh so i was actually talking about this sexy thang" she put an arm around emily and we all giggled at rue's antics.
"how are ya?" she sat in front of em, keen to hear how her injury was going on. they talked and talked, classic em & rue. they both loved a good conversation. i decided to focus my attention on something else, and watched around us as the team worked out. some of them were doing full workouts, others doing simple cool downs after training. some of them i knew were in the cafeteria.
i thought about how simple our lives were and how i should appreciate these people more then i do.
"g!" my attention snapped back to my friends beside me.
"yeah?"
"jeez were you in a trance?" em spoke with a surprised tone.
"a little bit" i smiled back to the pair "what's up?"
"do you wanna go get lunch?" rue asked.
for a moment i saw her shy side. as if she didn't want to know my answer incase i rejected her.

"of course"