CHAPTER 1

Mapleshade woke to a soft and far off cry. 

"Hello? Anyone there? My names Darkstripe and i'm looking for Brokenstar." A tom called out.  He padded over to Mapleshade.She  sighed. Did she always have to greet new-comers? 

"Hello there, Darkstripe. My name is-" She looked at his face. His yellow eyes met her green ones.

"-My name is Mapleshade. Brokenstar is.. unavailable at the moment." She meowed, wrapping her tail around her dainty white paws. 

"Oh. OK." He nodded politely and blushed at her. Mapleshade heard Shadestream curse, 'Fox dung!'

"Mapleshade!! Who do we have here? Is he on our side?" Shadestream snarled, tail lashing, eyes laid suspiciously on Darkstripe.

"Shadestream, he is. He wishes to see Brokenstar." She meowed, glaring at Shadestream. Darkstripe blushed again, but remained strong as Shadestream hissed in his face.

"Oh, HO! Wants to see Brokenstar? Are you a friend?" Shadestream laughed and padded back over to Mapleshade. 

"Yes. We are. I am in alliance with him and Tigerstar." Darkstripe puffed out his chest proudly, as if challenging Shadestream to come upc with some other retort.

"He speaks the truth." A deep voice rasped, causing the 3 cats to turn. A lean, massive, scarred, well-muscled, dark brown tabby tom, with very unusually long, thick,  patchy, matted, ragged fur stood in the shadows,  his blind, bright amber eyes glowing. The pale light revealed a scarred, broad, flat face, a long spine, a sturdy body,  broad shoulders, long  thorn-sharp claws, torn ears, and a bend in the middle of his tail. Mapleshade grinned.

"Here we are, Darkstripe. This is Brokenstar." She purred darkly, eyes gleaming. DArkstripe stepped towards the evil tom, head raised. Brokenstar smiled, sharp yellow teeth glinting. 

"Hello, Darkstripe. Welcome to the Dark Forest."