007

Madi and I both walked into the school. My eyes searched the hallways, not for anyone but Chris. My eyes meet with so many people, none of which were Chris. He should be here by now. Maybe he's still in his car. "I think the whole thing with you and Chris has died down." Madi whispers. "Yeah, nobody has been giving any looks." Madi and I walked into the classroom just as the bell rang. Chris' eyes met mine causing my cheeks to get hot. It didn't help that he looked extra good today.

I sat down, placing my bag on the table. "Sweatpants again?" He asks. I turn over to look at him. "Hungover." "Yeah, you seem to always be drinking." He says. "What is that supposed to mean?" I ask scrunching my nose. He shakes his head. Does Chris think I am an alcoholic? "I only drink with friends." I say with no response back. I roll my eyes before resting my head on my backpack. "Partner work today. Grab a pencil and i'll pass out the papers." The teacher yells. Everyone in class groans. "Do we get to pick our partners?" "No. You're partner is who you are sitting with." He says causing the class to groan once again. The teacher hands both me and Chris a paper. "Okay, so, you do the work and then I'll copy you." He says putting his head down. "Uhm, definitely not. I'm not doing this." "Then I guess we're turning in empty papers." He says. "Chris, seriously. I don't want to work together as much as you don't. Just grow up and get this over with." I scoff. "Oh, I'm definitely grown." "Then act like it." Chris sits up and takes out a pencil. I smile, finally he listens. Chris and I begin taking turns to answer questions. As I'm reading my part, I notice Chris staring at me. "What?" I ask while looking over at him. He shrugs. "What?" He asks. "Why are you staring at me, idiot." "Is it illegal to look at you now?" "Well, you don't have to make it so obvious." I say looking back to my paper. "I want to. How else would I get you're attention?" He says. I immediately turn to look at him. Chris wants my attention? How could he say something so bold and act like it was nothing. "Are you going to answer the question or what?" He asks. "You're distracting me." "Because I make you nervous?" He asks. "What?" I snap. "I can tell." He says. "You wish." "Whatever you want to believe. I see the way you're face turns red when you see me, you clearly don't." He says smirking. His smile was so cute, I couldn't help but smile myself. "See." He says with a laugh. His laugh was enough for me, but somehow, I contained myself and ignored him.

*Time Skip*

I walked into the gym dressing room and quickly changed into my uniform. "Start running, Lela! One mile for you're warmup today!" The gym teacher yelled. I groan before I start jogging. I hated running. Especially if I had to run alone. "Pick it up, new girl." A guy said as he pasted me. His voice sounded familiar and I watched as he ran. His long hair reminded me of Chris. And when he finally turned his head, I could make out who it was. It was Chris himself. Since when was Chris in my gym? I decided to ask a guy who was running about the same pace as me. I had to speed it up if I wanted to ask him so I ran a little faster. "Hey, when was Chris in our gym?" I ask out of breath. "He's always been. He's just been skipping this period." He says. "Oh, okay. Thanks." I say slowing down. Many of the guys were already done so feeling their eyes on me made me run faster just to get rid of the stares. Finally, when I finished, the couch began to explain what we would be doing. "Basketball. I'll split the teams into two." He says before he began to make two teams. Luckily, Chris and I weren't on the same team. But, with my luck, I was starting for my team; and so was Chris. The guys easily pushed me out the way, but Chris decided to go easy on me. I tried taking the ball away and since he was going so easy, I did. But, immediately after Chris ran after me to get the ball. I could tell he wasn't playing easy anymore and the way he was rushing me, caused us to trip. He lie on top of me. My stomach dropped. The rumors had just died down and all these guys seeing this was not going to help. Chris was breathing hard; out of breath. I felt my face begin to heat up. Why was a boy who I was supposed to despise making me feel this way? I watched as his lips subtly formed a smirk. His smile made me feel even more. Almost excited? His fingers slowly traced my arm before he took a deep breath and got up. He held his hand out and I reached up to grab it. He helped me up and I fixed myself up. "Off the court Lela and Chris. Not risking anything. Not after last time." The coach yelled. Chris and I walked off and sat on the bleachers. Away from each other, obviously.

*Time Skip*

It was finally lunchtime and as I walked in I searched for Madi. I saw her sitting with our friends so I placed my bag on the table. "Hey." I say. "Hi, Lela!" One says. I get into the lunch line and wait. Whoever was standing behind me was so close that I could feel their breath. "Hey, can you back-" I say turning before getting cut off by a buff chest. I slowly looked up and I was met with a set of familiar sparkly blue eyes. The way he had to look down on me made me weak in the knees. "Go. You're holding up the line." He says with an annoyed tone. The butterflies in my stomach disappeared almost immediately. I turned around before paying for my lunch. I walked back to my table where all my friends were sitting. "Oh, Lela. Me and a few friends are going bowling tonight; we might eat after too, do you want to come with?" Madi asks. "Sure. What time?" "Probably four. I'll pick you up." I nod my head as I pick at my lunch. I've only started talking to Chris recently, but I was already falling for him. As much as I wanted to deny it, I couldn't take my mind off him. "By the way Lela, a couple of guys are coming too." She says smiling. "Oh really?" I ask with a sly look. "Like who?" "Honestly, I don't know. But a friend said she invited some guys." This was it. This was my chance to get over Chris. Maybe being around guys would allow me to realize Chris wasn't the only one for me. I got up to throw away my lunch, a waste of money since I didn't eat anything. On the way back to my seat, I noticed Chris looking at me. I scrunched my face up and turned the other way. I sat down and all my friends were starring. "What?" I ask. "You and Chris definitely have something going on." They all laugh. "Guys. Seriously, I don't." I exclaim. "Whatever you say, girl." The bell rings, saving me from the awkward conversation. I immediately got up and grabbed my bag before quickly walking away. "Lela, wait!" Madi yells. I ignored her since I already knew she was going to ask about Chris again. I did have feelings for Chris, but everyone constantly asking about him was getting annoying. It was always 'Chris is definitely into you' or 'You and Chris have so much chemistry' but never once did someone ask how I felt about Chris; well, Madi did.

I walked to class before feeling a tap on my shoulder. It was Chris. "I don't want to be talking to you in public at school. Not after what happened at gym, so leave me alone." I say. He gives me a confused look. "I've never even met you before." "Chris stop playing. I'm going to be late and more rumors will start." "Oh. I'm not Chris." He laughs. "I don't have time for you're games, Chris." I say walking away. "I'm his brother." He says grabbing my arm. "Then why has Chris never mentioned you?" I ask while scanning his face. He looked exactly like Chris. The only thing I noticed was his different hairstyle. "Maybe not to you since you're new. Everyone knows we're brothers." I nod my head, wishing this conversation ended faster. Not only did I not want to speak with Chris, but let alone someone who looks like him. "I'm Matt by the way. I'll let you get to class though." He says walking away.

I quickly walked to my next class and into my seat. I just wanted to get my mind off school and Chris. I hoped no guy told anyone about the situation in gym. All the whispers and rumors had just stopped and I wasn't going to deal with that again. I put my head down and took a nap, hoping the day would end faster.

————————————————————————
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 30 VOTES ALREADY!
I'm honestly so grateful for all the support.
Votes are appreciated!
Chapter ideas?

Word count: 1624
9/24/23