Fair Foul Fortune

Hours later, when the feast had finally concluded, Harry at last collapsed onto his bed in Gryffindor tower, the other third years muttering goodnight to each other as they got into bed themselves. As tired as he was, Harry didn't fall asleep. He lay there on his mattress, listening to the sounds of his dorm mates breathing even out into sleep, waiting for Riddle to tell him whatever it was he didn't want to say in front of others.

Do you remember how I told you I had found a more lasting way then ink to record my memories in the diary?

Harry sent a thought of confirmation, not wanting to make any noise in case it woke one of the other boys.

It was the first of many, that I planned to make. Our run in with the Dementor brought something, a memory, to the surface. There's another one in Hogwarts.

That doesn't make much sense, Harry thought.

It's more complicated than that. Riddle replied in irritation. There is only so much I know about what happened after my memories were secured in the diary, and most of that was second hand from an eleven year old girl. I will explain in more detail later. For now, there's a room on the seventh floor,

Harry suddenly had a mental picture of which corridor Riddle was talking about.

Inside is a room with junk, you have to have a specific request to get the right room. Somewhere in there, is a diadem-

A what? Harry asked, confused.

A crown thing. Harry could hear the sneer in Riddle's voice, the point is you need to find it before October.

Why October?

Midnight on all Hallows eve, is when the veil between worlds is thinnest. As I said, I'll explain in depth later. We don't have that long to find it.

Two months.

Harry suddenly felt a jolt of pain stab through his scar, making his breath catch in his throat.

Two months of lessons, and with you, detentions as well. There's also Quidditch, you'll have practices. And studying. That leaves even less time. And you are underestimating the size of the room you'll be searching.

Why do I have to find it, anyway? Harry hissed, annoyed at Riddle.

Do you remember the Chamber? What happened down there?

Harry couldn't stop a shudder at the memory. Their encounter with the Dementor had brought the memory of the pain to the surface, and he did not need Riddle reminding him as well.

It will be less painful if performed on All Hallows Eve. But otherwise, it is the same process.

You want me to put more of your memories in my head?

Harry was not very keen on that idea. One portion of young Voldemort's memories in his head was too much already. He didn't need, nor want, two.

There was another, more intense stab of pain, and Harry let out a grunt, pressing his knuckles against his mouth, trying to quiet the sound.

We made an agreement, Potter. So unless you would rather personally find out the limit of pain ones mind can take before breaking... you will find the diadem.