The First Defense

The rest of the week, Harry didn't set foot in the Room of Requirement. Most nights, he set himself in a corner of the common room with several books, mimicking Hermione's diligence to try and forget the nightmares. He was also more skittish around his friends, avoiding them even more. He was sure Hermione hadn't really been in the Room of Hidden Things, she would have asked him endless questions if she had, but the encounter had still left him shaken.

It wasn't until Thursday, after their first potions class of the year, that Harry found out what it was.

Potions went about as well as Harry had expected. He ended up partnered with Seamus, and while he wasn't the worst partner to have in the class, he would get distracted easily, and Harry had to stop him from blowing up their cauldron at least four times. In the end, it was inevitably Neville who melted his cauldron, earning Snape's ire.

After entirely too long for Harry's comfort, Potions was over, and the Gryffindors headed up towards Defense Against the Dark arts. Professor Lupin was nowhere to be found, but the classroom door was open, so they all headed inside and found seats. Harry managed to get a seat between Neville and Parvati, which gained him worried looks from Ron and Hermione, but he did his best to ignore the ache in his chest.

Everyone was talking when Lupin came in. He gave them all a tired smile as he set his ratty bag on his desk.

"You can put your books away, today will be a practical lesson. You'll just need your wand."

There was a soft murmur of interest as everyone put away their things. They'd never had a proper practical lesson, and they were eager to see where this led.

With their wands in hand, they followed their Professor out of the classroom, and down the hall. After a short run in with Peeves, the bothersome poltergeist, their trip ended in the staff room.

The staff room was empty but for Snape, who left with a few snide comments, and his usual, permanent sneer. Lupin ignored Snape's exit, and instead led the class to the back of the room, where sat a wardrobe, shuddering on occasion.

Harry immediately locked onto the movement, a lead weight developing in his chest, making each breath shallow and thick, not enough to fill his lungs. He didn't notice as the rest of the class pulled ahead of him, curious about the coming lesson.

"Nothing to worry about." Lupin assured the few people who startled as the wardrobe gave a particularly violent shudder, and banged off the wall.

"There's a Boggart, in there."

Several people shuffled back in alarm, and Neville, who stood beside Harry, paled considerably. Harry didn't know what a Boggart was, but if it was what he thought, he never wanted to face one again, especially not in front of his classmates.

"Boggarts like the dark and cramped; wardrobes, cupboards under sinks, old desk drawers. I've even found one in a grandfather clock. Our first question today is; what even is a Boggart?" 

Naturally, Hermione's is the first hand in the air,

"It's a shapeshifter. It takes the form of whatever it thinks would frighten us most."

The professor's lips tilted in a small smile,

"Succinctly put. And quite right."

Harry focused on breathing, trying not to pass out. His heart was almost painful as it thudded against his ribs. If he wasn't nearly positive he had already run into a Boggart, he might have been interested in the lesson. As it was, he was terrified, and the creature wasn't even in sight yet. Would it turn into Hermione, like the one in the Room of Requirement? Or would it be Ron, finally realizing what a freak he had befriended?