3

Eddie forgets that the sun can burn sometimes. He is Icarus, too mesmerized by Buck's light to notice the wax of his wings melting away.

He wonders if Buck knows that this is killing him slowly. If Buck sees the way loving him keeps tearing Eddie apart and building him back up piece by piece.

He doesn't know if he can handle it anymore. Especially now that Buck and Taylor are taking a serious go at their relationship.

Seeing Taylor Kelly of all people get what he wants, get to kiss and touch Buck whenever she wants when Eddie is craving him like he craves air is like a hand twisting the knife in his heart.

She doesn't like Eddie, and the feeling is very much mutual. They exchange venomous looks when Buck isn't looking and Eddie knows that any day he sees her is a day too soon.

He can see how much she tries to take Buck away from him, purposefully planning dates to be on their family movie nights (as if Buck would drop his plans with Chris to hang out with her ) and occasionally tagging along on firefam days out, trying to hog Buck all to herself.

But Buck still comes running when Eddie asks him to and the petty part of Eddie just loves the fact that his best friend is willing to drop anything to be by his side. He'd never abuse that power, of course. But it was still nice to know.

He wants to be happy for Buck, he really does. There's no one who deserves love and affection like Buck. Buck deserves the best partner in the whole world. He's just of the opinion that, well, that person isn't Taylor Kelly.

Of course you don't think it's her. You want it to be you, his brain supplies unhelpfully. He chooses to ignore that part, no matter how true it is.

Him disliking Taylor has nothing to do with him being in love with Buck. Well, it does in some sense. But it's not his main reason.

Taylor is a snake, plain and simple. She doesn't put Buck first like he deserves. And Eddie knows it's a matter of time before she stabs them in the back and/or breaks Buck's heart in the process. You can't blame him for being careful.

Eddie would set himself on fire to keep Buck warm and she's out there taking him for granted? Unbelievable.

But Buck still spends most of his time with Eddie and Chris. No matter what his heart thinks, a win is a win. All he wants is to remain in the light of Buck's smile, in his orbit. As long as Buck doesn't suddenly disappear from his life, he can handle it.

Right? Right.

**

He can't handle this. Seriously, he wants to push Taylor off the nearest cliff.

The witch somehow managed to wriggle her way into a 118 picnic. Eddie can't describe the feeling of nausea that hit him when he saw her mop of two week old tomato soup hair beside Buck when he walked up to them in the park. His heart burns with jealousy when he sees her run her hands up Buck's biceps.

He takes a couple of deep breaths, trying to muster up a convincing smile as he walks up to the group.

Chris screams "Bucky!" when his eyes land on their best friend and Buck turns around, his whole face lighting up with a smile.

"Superman!"

Buck sweeps Chris up in his arms, planting a kiss on his temple. "I missed you, buddy."

Chris giggled, dropping his crutches to wrap his arms around Buck's neck. Eddie swears his heart grew three sizes. Christopher refuses to be picked up most of the time these days, insisting that he has grown. It makes Eddie hurt somewhere deep inside, knowing that he can't keep his son like this forever.