Chapter 31: Inferiority Complex

Over the years, milord has become a father to Fergus and when he imparted his last name to Fergus at his wedding, it only cemented his relationship with his father figure.

The relief Fergus had felt when he found out milady is alive but so is Brian was unimaginable. In those years he thought both of them had died, Fergus would always wonder who that little boy would've grown up to be. Finding out his adoptive brother is not only alive then meeting him meant everything to Fergus. But not everything is easy.

The first time Fergus had witnessed milord look at Brian, Ellen too, with so much love and joy, he had felt a ping of some emotion. It made his chest get tight. He had brushed it off back then when Brian had turned to him with a grin and greeted him happily.

Fergus is enjoying having Brian and Ellen around, having younger siblings as well as the family network built around them. But getting along with them didn't do much to lessen the knot he would feel in his stomach when he would see milord going out of his way to spend time with his two lost children, particularly the father and son activities he would insist on doing with Brian. Watching milord doing everything he can to bond with him. Make up for all those moments he missed, like hunting, riding (something Fergus found odd, apparently no horse riding in Boston?) and building the bigger house together, which is something Fergus can't physically do.

Certain thoughts would creep into his head particularly at night when Marsali lies asleep next to him while he lies awake. Thoughts such as: Brian is milord's son. His real son. And even though milord has told Fergus he is too, it's very very different. Fergus wouldn't blame him if he started to think otherwise.

It feels silly to feel that way considering how neither milord nor milady had dismissed him and always treat him as their son and Germain as their own grandchild. Brian and Ellen both vocally accepting Fergus as their brother, Germain as their nephew and he knows it will not be any different when their new child arrives soon. But Fergus can't help but feel lesser than them at times.

——

A/N: This chapter was inspired by a comment someone made over on fanfiction.net
I'm open and happy to hear from anyone on possible scenes/moments they're interested in for me to write.