Chapter 46: Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ

A/N: Thank you to everyone who has voted on chapters, commented and added this story to their reading lists.

——

March 1771

A young girl, who introduced herself as Miss Martin, beams up to him happily as Brian dances on the dance floor with her to the Irish music being played. Of all his dancing companions, she's the one who he's enjoyed the most as by most beauty standards she's considered rather plain which means there's no confident flirtatious attitude and just a happy young girl to be noticed. She had blushed when Brian had offered his hand to her and had needed a quick nudge from her elderly companion, Miss Bledsoe, before she stuttered out a reply. He had asked her because she wasn't making obvious eyes at him but to also get out of having to do another spin with Jemima Hatfield.

Brian, Mama, Da, Ellen and Roger had all been invited to the wedding of Jocasta Cameron and Duncan Innes at River Run. They had received the invitation a month previous and had all responded they would attend but then a day or two before they would leave to begin their journey, Jemmy had begun showing symptoms of a cold. Roger and Ellen had decided that they would sit out the wedding to take care of Jemmy.

When news of Jocasta and Duncan Innes' engagement reached the Ridge, the shock was an understatement of what they felt. They had thought that once everything had come to pass with the Regulators, she and Murtagh would have made their way back to each other and would finally be together and marry. They have had no way of getting in contact with Murtagh to get his take on this, but talking to Jocasta once they'd arrived at River Run about her soon-to-be husband, the indifferent look on her face speaks everything she can't say out loud. This isn't a marriage for love, but for ease and stability; and that is something Brian cannot get out of his head.

It should be Murtagh.

Another point of business was the review of Jocasta's new will. Considering Brian's refusal, just like his parents, to want to own the plantation, River Run will now be left to Jemmy. Gerald Forbes, as a wedding guest, is the lawyer overseeing the proceedings. Jocasta would sign the contract that names Jemmy as the heir of River Run with Da as a witness, and it would be put into action immediately. Jocasta will serve as the guardian of the plantation until Jemmy comes of age. It's the best for everyone as Jocasta gets to live out her life in her home and won't be pushed out early (if the revolution doesn't do that).

The house has had a new layer of paint and the front courtyard is neat and flowered for the festivities. A large pergola has been erected on the other side of the river with a boat carrying people on the other side of the river to the festivities. Inside the pergola, laughter and the tinkling of the crystal float in the air while slaves in livery bring plates filled with food and drinks. The guests at the wedding are in large clothes, eat, mix with the different groups and converse. Brian is in the middle of it all, trying to fend off advances from all the eligible ladies. Not that the female attention isn't unwelcome, it's just a bit much and currently he has his eye on someone though he's not sure he's even here.

The song ends and Brian spits his parents walking amongst the crowd, avoiding the eye of two elderly women, the Misses MacNeils, who have been suggesting and nudging him towards what they describe as eligible ladies, and quickly makes his way over, hoping they'll act as a block to anymore dance partners.

"You did very well out there." Mama compliments, smiling. Da stays quiet, frowning at everyone around them. Something he's been doing since they've left the Ridge.

"I was trying to survive." Brian replies, pulling a face. "It seems every single lady in North Carolina is out there trying to force Cupid. They're vultures out there."

"What about that last girl, Miss Martin?" Mama suggests, hopefully. "You danced a couple with her."

Brian knows his mother wants him to find someone. He doesn't know if Brynmor is that person but he's certainly not what his parents would describe as appropriate.

"I don't think so, Mama."

Da lets out a dry chuckle at Mama's pout, but strangely doesn't say anything and instead moves his gaze back to the crowd.

"Are you alright, Da?" Brian asks him.

"It should be Murtagh at Jocasta's side." He says. He follows his gaze and sees that he isn't staring at the crowd in general but at his aunt and Duncan Innes standing together and speaking to friends. "Instead, here I am, rubbin' shoulder wi' the verra devils who'd see 'im dead."

Mama takes Da's arm, comforting him. "You can't be so hard on yourself." She tells him. "You asked him to wait. If Murtagh isn't here today, then that's his own choice."

"And you know that the further away he is from here, the safer he is." Brian adds. "If he stays out of sight for long enough, Tryon will have to give up the fight. He's already given mercy to the other Regulators. He'll back down from Murtagh sooner or later."

When he doesn't respond, Mama changes the subject, looking back out onto the dance floor. "He looks like he's having so much fun." She remarks to Brian.

Brian looks out to see Lord John looking like he is being held at gunpoint dancing with the same group of women who's also been hounding Brian. But when the music at last ends, Brian sees his body relax and he walks off the dance floor before any of the women can approach him. He goes to his three friends once he turns around and sees them.

"Very impressive, John." Brian tells him with a grin.

"I had no idea you were such a good dancer." Mama goes on.

"Well, to tell you the truth, I'm not certain I am." He admits. He, with the others following, looks back to what appears to be his and Brian's fan club, stealing quick flirty glances at them and giggling. "I think I must've danced with every girl in the province."

Brian winces in pity knowing it's worse for him than it is for him. Unlike John, Brian isn't exclusively interested in men. "I apologise for not staying on the dance floor for longer, would've evened the load."

The conversation turns less jovial when Governor Tryon and his wife, Margaret, approach them.

Apparently, Mrs Tryon has a big mouth. They all approach Governor Tryon for a chat, and his wife lets it slip that they're moving to New York. Even more pressingly, since he is to leave, Tryon clearly wants to do a cleanup, their conversation leads to the revelation that Tryon has signed an order to prevent riotous assembly – it prohibits 10 men or more from gathering under specific circumstances. Brian tries not to snort at the misplaced pride on the man's face. If the Regulators are willing to go to war over the taxes Tryon has set, what in the hell makes him think they're going to listen to some little rule about how many men can be in one room?

Tryon remarks how he wishes he'd come up with the idea sooner then Knox might still be with them. Brian shares a look with his Da who tries to hide his guilt. Again, Brian understands the feeling for a different reason. If he hadn't been distracted and he'd been with his Da and Knox, he might've been able to stop this.

Just as he has this thought, he chokes on his wine when he sees the person he's just been thinking over walking through the crowd. A very familiar tall, thin and wiry build with black black and blues and high cheekbones. Brynmor.

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ as his mother likes to say.

His visceral reaction doesn't go unnoticed and Mrs Tryon turns to him with wide concerned eyes. "Mister Fraser, are you well?"

Brian coughs slightly before flashing his most charming smile. "Of course, my apologies, Your Excellency."

He looks towards where he's seen Brynmor and that is when he catches the man's eye and, because he's him, Brian had been taking another sip of his drink and proceeds to choke on it again.

——

A/N: Please leave comments on how you're enjoying this story and what you think.