Prologue 呪 A Cursed Hero

In our world, an inequality between human beings exist.

This is an indisputable fact, the quirks that arise during childhood naturally set people apart.

Although if I'm being honest, equality doesn't really matter all that much to me.

Were you expecting an internal monologue about how 'all human beings are not born equal'?

That's something some shounen manga protagonists would say in the opening chapter.

They would probably go on to talk about how they realised humans were anything but equal at a young age, probably due to them being born weak or something.

Then again, that doesn't really matter to me.

Because all I have is a dream shared by most teenagers nowadays.

I want to be a hero.

"Hey, it's the demon!"

"..."

"Oi! Akuma! Come any closer and we'll splash you with holy water!"

"..."

"Your family just died...but you can't even show a sign of grief on your face! You must truly be the devil!"

"..."

Demon, devil, monster - names I've grown accustomed to hearing all my life.

I sighed, the breath escaping my lips like a whisper on the wind. Walking through the wrought iron gates of my school, I headed to class, my expression unchanged as always. I felt the heavy weight of my classmates' stares, though after so many years, I was numb to it.

The morning bell rang out sharply, jolting me from my thoughts. Around me, students began filing into homeroom, filling the air with idle chatter. I kept my eyes down, ignoring the curious glances and hushed whispers. They never failed to follow me.

"Good morning class!" announced Sensei brightly as he entered. "Now that graduation is approaching, I hope you're all starting to think seriously about your future career paths."

Titters and murmurs rippled through the room. I clenched my jaw. Did he really have to bring this up so publicly?

"But what am I saying?" Sensei continued with a laugh. "I'm sure most of you already have your hearts set on joining the hero course!"

The class immediately erupted into excited commotion as students began activating and showing off their quirks. Beams of light, random objects floating, sparks flying - everyone was eager to flaunt their abilities. Everyone except myself and the two other still figures studiously ignoring the hubbub.

"Hey, don't lump me in with these losers!" shouted Bakugo, slamming his palm onto his desk. Tiny explosions danced across his skin. "I'm gonna ace the U.A. entrance exam and take the number one spot!"

I shifted my gaze to the cocky ash-blonde, sizing him up. That explosive temper of his matched the volatile nature of his quirk. Perhaps he did have the potential to back up those bold claims.

U.A. High - the most prestigious hero academy in Japan. It would be a lie to say I'd never imagined attending myself. But dreams were for those with power. What hope did someone like me have?

"Ah, that's right! Midoriya and Katoka - you two are applying to U.A. as well, aren't you?" Sensei asked.

My shoulders tensed. So much for confidentiality. This was precisely why I despised these discussions.

"Pfft, Midoriya? Quirkless with no combat skills?" someone scoffed from the back. "He'll be lucky to even get accepted, let alone survive the program!"

Cruel laughter echoed through the room. I saw Midoriya shrink down at his desk, his green eyes downcast.

"N-no rules say you have to have a quirk to apply," he mumbled. "I just want to try my hardest and see if maybe I could-"

"Shut it, Deku!" Bakugo slammed his palm down, silencing the room. His lip curled in a sneer. "A pebble like you should know your damn place already."

The tense atmosphere lingered even after Bakugo eventually leaned back in his seat. I let out a quiet breath. Such arrogance, acting as if one's worth depended solely on the power they wielded. I feared Midoriya's kind heart would be crushed at U.A. surrounded by those like Bakugo.

When the last bell finally rang, I moved to gather my things. But raised voices at the front gave me pause. Glancing up, I saw Bakugo and his lackeys clustered around Midoriya's desk once more.

"Take a swan dive off the roof and pray for a quirk in your next life, Deku," Bakugo spat, swiping a notebook off Midoriya's desk. He dangled it tauntingly out the open window.

Midoriya lunged forward, desperate anguish on his face. "Kacchan, please give that back!"

My blood ran cold watching Bakugo torment someone so helpless against him. My eyes emitted a black aura upon the activation of my quirk. As Bakugo released the notebook, I tore open a shadowy rift in reality. A ghastly creature rose up out of the window, catching the book with its oozing tendrils before scrambling back to me.

Wordlessly, I held the recovered notebook out to Midoriya. He accepted it with trembling hands.

"T-thank you, Katoka-kun," he choked out.

"Akuma..." Bakugo growled, taking a threatening step towards me. "The hell do you think you're doing?"

With no change in facial expression, I met his enraged gaze. "Putting a stop to petty bullying. Isn't that what heroes do?"

With a roar, Bakugo charged, arm cocked back. I swiftly opened another rift, redirecting his point-blank explosion away into a void. My quirk didn't let organic matter enter my rifts, but everything else could freely pass through. We locked eyes, his bright red jewels burning with humiliation while mine remained cool and unbothered. I took this chance and kicked him in the shin, causing him to stumble back awkwardly.

Clicking his tongue sharply, Bakugo stood up and stormed away. I let the void snap shut, swaying slightly as pain throbbed through my skull. Damn, even that brief activation took a toll on me.

"Katoka-kun, your quirk is so amazing!" Midoriya cried. "And what you did just now, it was so heroic and cool!"

I looked away, shame heating my face. "It was nothing...any decent person would have intervened."

As I finally left school grounds, each step sent a fresh spike of pain through my head. I laughed mirthlessly. Amazing quirk? Heroic? What a joke. After a single use, my cursed power rendered me pathetic and weak. How could someone like me ever dream of attending U.A.?

I paused, gazing back at the school. Midoriya's smiling, battered face flashed through my mind.

"Hero Analysis for the Future No. 13." That was the title of his notebook.

 That quirkless boy persisted in chasing his dream, even without power. While I, gifted with an incredible ability, did nothing but complain and make excuses.

Squaring my shoulders, I turned and headed for the park instead of the train station. If I had any hope of being a hero, it was time I stopped running and began to train.