freedom

new chapter!! this one is a lot shorter hope you still enjoy. i'll try to upload faste next time!

CHAPTER 11

Rain pelted down on Clay's cut hand as he walked with no direction. The wind moved his brain side to side as it tried to recollect the memories from just a moment ago. How did he end up alone in the street, his hand covered in blood? Anyone walking around at night would assume he'd just murdered someone. They wouldn't be far off. Clay had taken his fist to the mirror, destroying his other half. So in a way, you could say he killed himself. And the product of his actions stood in the rain, on the verge of collapse. Something made Clay's knees weak as he walked. Maybe it was the cold concrete against his bare feet. Or the wind that pushed him relentlessly. Or maybe it was God forcing him to finally give up.

He trekked up to a familiar house, one that has welcomed him with open arms many times before. But he'd never come this late at night when the dogs stopped barking and the mouths stopped moving. Clay had never seen this house so quiet. All the lights were off, all the doors were locked, and a little voice in the back of his head told him to turn around. But there was blood dripping from his hand, and tears covering his vision. He stepped foot on the porch, the rain still painting him blue. With his clean hand, Clay lifted a finger and rang the doorbell one time. No sound came from the house. It felt like in this world, he was the only one alive. But he was dying, so he rang the doorbell again.

Footsteps inched closer to the door and Clay was able to breathe again. The handle was turned and on the other side stood Sapnap, his best friend. He looked tired, really tired. But he was nowhere near the condition that Clay was in. His hands were smooth, and his soul was intact. His feet were socked, and a hoodie hugged his arms. The two stood there for a moment, taking each other in.

Sapnap's eyes moved from Clay's hand to his face, then back to his hand. A feeling so overwhelming took over him, and soon he was standing in the rain, hugging his best friend. There were tears pouring down his eyes and dozens of questions running through his mind.

"You're shaking." said Sapnap, holding the boy in his arms. "Let's get you inside."

A warmth overtook Clay's body as he entered a home that wasn't his. They quietly made their way up the stairs in an attempt to not wake Sapnap's parents. Sapnap's room smelled like oranges. That made Clay want to throw up.

"Here, sit down." Sapnap set him down on the bed, hustling to the bathroom to grab something for his hand. Clay stayed still, cupping his clean hand under the bloody one to not ruin Sapnap's sheets. For the first time in his life, he felt out of place here. This was the home that had taken him in a thousand times, and continued to do so. But tonight, something felt different, like a stranger was looming around the corner. Clay didn't have much time to delve into these thoughts, for Sapnap showed up with a small white towel.

Clay moved his hands away before he could be given the towel. "No, I'll get it dirty."

Sapnap sighed, the tears in his eyes threatening to fall. "Clay, please."

He gave in, reaching for the towel and mumbling a thank you. He wrapped the small fabric around his wounded hand. Sapnap took a seat next to him. Clay knew there was a question on the tip of his friend's tongue, a question he really didn't want to answer.

But Sapnap asked it anyway.

"What happened?"

Clay looked down at his hand, wrapped in comfort. His response sat still on the edge of his tongue, refusing to move. But after taking a deep breath and recollecting his thoughts, he answered. "I got kicked out."

The meaning behind his words dawned on Sapnap. The heaviness of them, the grasp they had on every other aspect of Clay's life. His friendships, his education, his future. All thrown away by a monster that called himself a father.