Chapter III

"I'm so fucking sick of Harry's attitude, I swear to god," Evie complained as she picked carrots out of the ground. "If he comes near me one more time then I'm not going to be held accountable for my actions."

"Why? What are you going to do?" an amused Frypan who was waiting for the vegetables asked.

"Hm... Let's say hypothetically he was to be in the Maze and started hearing clicking and whirring sounds, definitely not made by me. And let's also say hypothetically that for some reason someone made a creature that could look like a Griever and positioned it in a way that he would see its shadow and-"

"So you're going to traumatise Harry and make him think that he's going to die all because he dropped your cupcake on the floor? You are aware I gave you a new one, right?"

"It's happened twice, Fry. Twice!" Evie exclaimed. "That's unacceptable! And the new cupcake wasn't as good as the old cupcake."

"They were exactly the same."

"No. They weren't," she answered sadly. "Not truly."

"It's physically impossible to know which is which."

"But I know. Deep down, I'll always know." She shook her head, heartbroken.

"Right, well, thanks for the carrots. And, uh, good luck with the whole cupcake depression thing you've got going on."

"Thanks, Fry. It means a lot that I've got someone to rely on during these tough times." She patted him twice on the shoulder.

Frypan laughed. "You're a right weird one, you are, Evie."

She gasped. "Am not! Minho is, not me!"

"Sure. Keep telling yourself that."

"Hey, Evie, you okay?" Ben asked as he jogged towards her. "How was your day?"

"Hi, Ben," Evie greeted with a smile. "You're back early. Everything alright?"

"Yeah, it was just boiling so we decided to call it a day. Running all day in the scorching sun is horrible," he explained as he collapsed against a tree trunk. "Remind me again why I became a Runner?"

"Because you're an idiot, Ben," Evie teased as she chucked him a spare bottle of water.

"Right, yeah. Thanks for that."

Minho approached the two. "Not to fear, Evie, your saviour is here!"

She raised an eyebrow. "And what are you a saviour for, exactly?"

Minho shrugged. "I dunno. Just am, y'know? Now, I know you've been missing me terribly all day but I've returned to bask you in my amazing presence and-" He stopped when he realised Evie had walked off with Ben. "Oi!" he called. "Shank!"

Evie turned round and stuck her tongue out at him, laughing with Ben as they went to get some food.

~Evie's POV~

"And then I was like, nuh uh, and he was like, yuh huh and then I was like-"

"How much longer is this going to go on for?" an exasperated Newt asked, clearly sick of hearing the bickering between Minho and I this morning over if he used my hairbrush or not (he definitely did but he was too scared to admit it because of the severe consequences he would face).

"What's this? Talking about me?" Minho asked as he sat down. "Oh do go on tarnishing my good name with your disgusting accusations, Eves."

"Minho, you shuckface, I found your hair in it!" I scowled. I had one sacred rule, one, and that was to leave my hairbrush the fuck alone. Same for my cupcakes. So, two scared rules really.