Prologue

The pair laughed and played together on the beach, building sandcastles, jumping over waves and throwing a frisbee around. Nothing could ruin this perfect moment it seemed.

"Watch this!" the girl called, demonstrating a cartwheel that she had just learnt to do.

The boy rolled his eyes. "Please. I could do that way better."

"Oh yeah?" she shot back. "Go on then." He tried and failed, causing the girl to burst into a fit of giggles. "You're dumb."

"Really? Well if I'm dumb do you know what that makes you?"

"Correct?" She raised an eyebrow.

"What? No! You're not correct."

Their parents called their names, telling them it was time to go. Reluctantly, the children listened and began walking back to them but the girl suddenly ran back to where they were previously playing, her friend in hot pursuit.

She wrote something in the sand before heading back, where two masked men were waiting to collect them and take them away.

Soon, the beach, like the rest of the world, was desolate. The waves lapped gently on the ground, washing away what the girl had written until it had completely vanished, as if it was never there in the first place, and the two children had never existed at all.

Evie and Minho were no more.