Chapter 2 - an act of God

Season 1 episode 3

________________________

Their small group wasn't a lot but it was all they had, the group consisted of others who had gone of a run earlier that day.
Some campers take turns leaving to collect food and other resources when the stock ran low.

____________

"KAYC, CARL I WANT YOU TO STAY WHERE DALE CAN SEE YOU OK!" Lori Grimes' called from the other side of the camp towards her two child.

The Grimes pair looked up momentarily from the thing that was entertaining them. Their eyes locked with their mothers, as she stood up from the log she was sitting on. They shared a small nod before turning their attention to the game the two had made up out of boredom.

The game that involved piling a bunch of flat rock on top of each other and taking one out at a time, whoever knocked down the tower of rock looses.

It was Kayc's turn, mid-way through pulling out the small rock which was much harder to get than the others the girl tilted her head, her younger brothers voice pierced her focus.

"Kayc?"

The girls brown eyes flashed towards her younger brother, his face had fallen slightly a small frown painted across his face.

"Yeah?" She had let go of the rock the weight of it making the tower fall down.
"Damn it" she whispered under her breath, a small chuckle left her little brothers mouths, she had smiled back at him tucking her brunette hair behind her ears.

"Are... are the monsters gonna kill us?"

His words and the way they were spoke caused the Grimes girl to hesitate, and immediately sensed the fear in the young boys voice. She carefully thought how she she would respond to her brothers fear, her mind raced trying to find a possible answer to stop his worries.

She knew Carl was worried nowadays — she was sure every child his age was, and as his older sister, Kayc had the right to find every reason to shelter him from his worries.

"No, carl they won't kill us. We're safer here than anyone else thats out there," she reached out her hand clasping palm with his "and we have alot of people that will know how to use guns and other weapons they'll use them if they need too"

"Pinky promise" the boy stuck up his pinky finger, in response Kayc held up her pinky finger on her free hand placing a soft kiss on it before connecting her finger with her little brothers "I pinky promise."