Chapter 01: You're Not Her

"Do I even get a say in this?" I asked as I let Lisa drag me from my last class to the university's dance studio. She wanted to show me something—a choreography she made, she said.

"Of course you don't. You're my cousin. We're bound by blood. You have no choice!"

"Your boldness is cute and annoying. I wonder where you got it from."

"I wanna say from you, but you're younger than me." She stuck her tongue out before letting go of my hand to open the studio door. She went ahead and got inside while I remained standing by the threshold, scanning the place.

I've been here at the university since freshman year, but I never got the chance to step into this place. The only time I got to see what it looked like was when Lisa would show me her dance videos. It looked small back then and darker, but from where I was standing, the studio looked spacious.

I stepped further in and craned my neck. The walls were painted light brown, with artworks of varying sizes hanging on one side of the room. On my right was the floor-length mirror that's stretched from one side of the room to the other, reflecting me and the majestic painting behind me. A giant chandelier hung in the middle of the ceiling. Being inside seemed like being in a museum.

"Hey, you're late!" I turned around and saw my cousin coming out of the door at the far end of the studio, just a few steps away from the painting I couldn't help admiring. I suppose that's the locker or shower area, whatever they call it.

"I know!" I did another turn and came face to face with a gorgeous blonde girl I haven't seen in a while. "This one professor just had to have a pretest at the last minute. I mean, I aced it, but she could've used the time she spent narrating her life with it—oh my God! You're here! You're really here!"

Roseanne Park enveloped me in her arms, offering me her tightest hug as she squealed in glee.

"I miss you too, girly!" I couldn't help but grin at how she squeezed me in her arms.

Rosie's been one of my ride-or-die since college. Along with Lisa, she's been with me through my ups and downs. She's everywhere, but in a good way. I'm not even kidding. I remember one time when I locked myself in the auditorium, crying because I didn't get the role that I wanted in the play, when she appeared out of nowhere, offering me a handkerchief. I swear I was alone at that time.

"I can't believe it! I mean, Lisa did tell us you're coming back, but I didn't take it seriously," she said, throwing my cousin a teasing look. "But you're here! Since when?"

I shrugged, suddenly embarrassed to admit I've been in the city for the whole summer but didn't say a thing to any of them. I was too preoccupied with my summer classes and getting my life together.

"Was here the whole summer." Her shocked expression, although short, did not escape my eyes.

God, I feel so mean.

"I was busy with my summer classes, you know, and I had to catch up unless I wanna redo my freshman year." I tried to say it coolly. I had to tone down my voice. Otherwise, she'll know there's more to it than that.

Roseanne nodded in understanding. "Right, of course." She made a quick glance to Lisa, who was still behind me, subtly raised her left brow, then dropped her gaze at me again.

I so know that look.

"Tell me more about it later. There's no way I'm letting you go without catching up." Rosie's right arm clung to my left and dragged me to the front of the studio, by the full-length mirror. She dropped her bag and sat down while pulling me down with her. "But for now, why don't we watch Lisa perform her choreography? She's been working on it for weeks."

""I know; I honestly have a hard time sleeping at night hearing her stomping and dancing on the other side of the room."

Lisa rolled her eyes at us.