Chapter 04: In Case You Forgot

Oh my gosh Bebe won SWF2!!! Hope you're as happy as I was when I learned about it! What was your favorite performance by them?

Also, I know I missed a couple of Sundays (when I usually update), so here's a slightly longer update to make up for that. Enjoy!

***

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

I left the party early that Saturday. The girls stayed behind, but I decided to spend the rest of the night getting comfortable in my room. I would've stayed if not for the feeling that something terrible was going to happen.

That's what I've been feeling for the past year. Every time I'm doing something that's worth my time, something that I deeply enjoy, my mind tells me it won't last. That something sinister is coming as payback for all the laughter and good times.

Travis texted me that night, too. You'd think I ignored him, but I actually replied. I haven't read his previous texts, but in his recent one, he asked why I've been ignoring him and didn't tell him I was going to the event. I apologized and told him I'd be seeing him on Monday if he wanted to hear my side. In the I plan to pause and not let anything disturb me for the weekend. I swear I'll face him on Monday unless he decides to do the ignoring.

I spent the rest of the night in bed, watching Law and Order, until dawn. I was too preoccupied solving the cases to think about everything that's been bugging me. But as soon as I opened my eyes the next day, I was once again filled with dread.

Lisa invited me to go shopping before lunch that Sunday. I would've said yes if she hadn't said she'd introduce me to some of her friends, too. Instead, I told her I had someplace to be, which she surprisingly believed.

By one o'clock, I was dressed and ready. I wasn't supposed to go anywhere; that was just an excuse, but then I noticed Lisa watching TV downstairs and her phone ringing with Rosie's name on it. She made no effort to pick it up or look at it, but she was always eyeing me in every corner of the house that I went to. I then realized what she was doing, and I hated it. I know I've only been back for a couple of months, but I'm not some kid that needs to be guarded every time. I have a mind of my own. I can go anywhere I want, no matter where that is. Most of all, I can lie about going out just to be left alone with my thoughts. Isn't that what most adults usually do?

I went out anyway. On my own. I wandered around the city but avoided going to the mall. I made one last stop at the place I've dreaded going to since I left before heading home at around five o'clock. Lisa wasn't around when I arrived, and that somehow relieved me. It's not that I don't want my cousin around. I love her company, but sometimes I just crave moments like this where I get the chance to immerse myself in thoughts I cannot fully think through in somebody else's presence.

By Monday morning, I found it hard to get out of bed and much more to face Travis later... and then later arrived.

"Caden?" I was pulled out of my thoughts when Travis called my name.

We were standing face-to-face, behind the wailing willow, a tree that's said to be haunted by a crying maiden. No one else was in the vicinity, given that we're far behind the campus and a few hours before lunch.

He invited me out for coffee, but I had to decline. On Mondays and Wednesdays, our schedules clash. I have another class in fifteen minutes.

"Look, I know something's wrong; otherwise, you wouldn't ignore me." My arms instinctively rose to my chest, but Travis grabbed hold of them before I could even cross them. "Baby, please," he said, massaging my knuckles. "You have to tell me what it is that's on your mind. How else are we supposed to solve it?"