Chapter 02: Was She Hit in the Head?

The cafeteria was packed when I entered it by Friday noon. No seats were available; even its dark and eerie corners were occupied.

I was supposed to meet Lisa here thirty minutes ago, but my dearest boyfriend just had to see me asap after canceling three plans this week.

I am just so loved.

'Lis, here already. Where r u?'

I sent her the text and scanned the place one last time. I badly need to sit down to something after the conversation I had with Travis a few minutes ago.

I was in the middle of a lecture when he texted me, saying he needed to see me for something. You'd think with the amount of time he had ditched me, I wouldn't assume he had something planned for us, and yet I did. I was beaming through the rest of the lecture, despite the unfamiliar terms our professor had been throwing at us. I felt hopeful and happy. I took my time leaping through the corridors, imagining what he was planning... and then I got to our meeting spot, and the dimwit wasn't even there.

Irritation made its way through me, but I tried to shrug it off. The thought of him ditching me, like he always does, crossed my mind, but again, I brushed it off. I thought that maybe something got in his way, making him late.

"I'm at the studio, can you come? I have food!" Lisa's text read.

I dragged myself to the other side of the campus, heading towards the dance studio with her clothes. She left it this morning, so she had me bring them with me when I got in for my 8 a.m. class.

I walked in on Lisa and Rosie practicing; that's what they've been doing these days, and another girl was recording them.

"Hey!" I called in as I dropped my backpack beside the door and headed their way. The other girl turned to me just as Rosie did a quick 180 and came running when she saw me.

"I haven't seen you in days!" She said, pulling me along with her until we were standing face-to-face with the girl.

"Yeah, I thought we wouldn't be busy considering it's only the first week, but our professors have been bombarding us with activities lately."

"Sucks to be you," Lisa commented as I handed her the paper bag with her clothes. "We're all free every Friday."

She gestured her hand to the three of them, making me look at the girl. She was just standing there, either looking down on her phone or looking at us back and forth as we conversed. I think I've already seen her; I just don't remember where.

She was watching the video on her phone when Lisa cleared her throat. The girl, startled, darted her cat-like eyes at my cousin. They were staring into each other's eyes for a few seconds before Lisa put her right arm on her shoulders and grinned at me.

"I want you to meet someone," she started, and I noticed how the girl squirmed. Was she uncomfortable or embarrassed? I'm not sure.

Rosie clapped her hands, earning our attention, but she was quick to tell Lisa to continue.

"This is Jennie..." The girl, a little bit shorter than me, nudged her, then softly smiled. That was when it clicked.

"Your girlfriend," I said, finishing her sentence.

Rosie gasped after unexpectedly moving from my left to their backside.

"You knew? How?!"

"I'm a mind reader, you know?" I answered, grinning. Lisa scoffed, probably remembering the time she thought psychology students like me read people's minds.