Nathalie | @gologel

Interviewee: gologel
PrideReads team member, german author and "Astronaut Award" winner, for best trope and fantasy, with not only one but two of her works!

Hey there Nathalie! Thank you for letting us take this opportunity to interview you. Let's get started with a few questions about your writing journey.

How long have you been writing?

I've started writing around the age of 8. It was mostly just a wild mix-up of my favourite books, but one idea was entirely mine! (It was about the four elements and magical creatures, a girl whose parents died, so she had to live with her uncle on the island, and I think she would also develop to control the elements? Of course no mind-bending ideas, but hey, 8-year-old me had already written 2.000 words and even planned on incorporating enemies to lovers!)

What, to you, is the most difficult part about writing a book?

Probably to keep on writing it. I often struggle with getting past the first thousand words. But if we're actually talking about writing itself: connecting the loose ties and keeping character development logical. However, I try not to think about that too much while writing the first draft, because that's what the second and third draft are there for.

What kind of research do you do and how long do you spend researching on the different elements/aspects that come with writing a book?

So far I've rarely done research, because I often write about topics I, myself, have knowledge of. For my drag queen story I did a little research to look behind the curtain, know about the transformation process and how the community sees itself, what's prejudice from the outside and what's real.

I usually research for as long as I feel like I need to. Do I feel like I know the process, have I developed an understanding of the community, of all important aspects? If the answer is yes, then I'll stop researching (and maybe continue it if I meet ends).

What is your go-to genre for writing and reading? Are they the same?

I'm always writing romance! I've written fantasy AUs as well (and wouldn't be opposed to other genres), but I cannot not integrate romance as a story aspect.

I also like reading romance-heavy stories, no matter the genre. However, for reading, the romance aspect is not as important as for my writing.

Do you remember the first LGBTQ+ book you ever read? If so, what was it?

No, unfortunately I don't remember it. Though it was very likely an One Direction shipping fanfiction on Wattpad!

Ahh yes, One Direction.. I'm still wondering if we will ever get an album again, where they either collaborate with each other and/or actually provide some songs as "the band". Anyways, let us move on to some looser questions to get to know you a little better.

How would you build/design your perfect creative space?

It would be a calming, cozy, warm space. The shelves reach to the ceiling and are filled with books with elegantly decorated spines; wood cracks in the fireplace. A huge armchair that I can make myself comfortable in and a cozy blanket that I can wrap myself up in are ready to be used.

For warmer evenings, there is a door to the outside so I can lie in a lounger on the dock, watch, smell and hear the rushing stream beneath the dock while I totally relax and concentrate on my ideas.