Goddess Awakened - Chapter 8

"Antheia?"

Antheia's head jolted upwards at the sound of her name, her hands still thrust deep into the dirt before her. She blinked rapidly. Tall grass tickled her cheeks even as the sunlight obscured her vision. Antheia pulled a hand free from the earth and  used it to shield her eyes, crumbles of dirt falling on to her brow in the process. Then, as the stranger came into focus, she allowed a smile to grace her lips.

"Hi," she greeted, pushing up on to her feet. "It's good to see you again, Owain. You are looking well."

Her eyes drifted from his polished shoes to the sharp cut of his dark blue attire. His face had been shaved, revealing a strong jaw, and his shirt was opened at the neck revealing  a hint of his skin and a peak of chest hair. Antheia's heart fluttered. Her free hand absently pressed over her chest but her errant heart wouldn't obey. She swallowed loudly and dragged her eyes up to meet his.

"Yeah, you too." He replied distractedly, a deep furrow between his brow as he surveyed her. His hands rested on the metal gate. It creaked ominously under his touch. His gaze swept over the wild garden before resting on the structure behind her. "I didn't realise you lived here. Come to think of it, I didn't think anyone lived here." He rubbed a hand over his face, aging before her in a single sweep of his hand. "Not that I've paid much attention to the comings and goings in the last year."

A heaviness lingered in the air, his posture drooping as if an invisible weight had dropped on to his shoulders. Antheia opened her mouth before closing it just as quickly. What could she say? Old grief clung to him like a second skin.

Clearing her throat, Antheia glanced away and back towards the house. It boarded up and just as decrepit as the day she had stumbled upon it three weeks before. She wrinkled her nose. How could he think that anyone would live here?

"I don't live here. Nor does anyone else, unless you count the mice."

Owain breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh good, I don't mean to offend you but the place looks like it should be knocked down."

"It is odd, is it not?"

"I'm sorry."

"It is odd that people always say they do not want to cause harm before saying something that could cause harm."

Owains's mouth opened and closed several times. "I -. Uh."

"Fortunately for you, there was no offense taken." Antheia replied with a grin. "I much prefer the garden anyway. I like the sounds of nature better."

The man before her choked, his eyes widening.

"Are you well?"

She stepped closer to him, her hand stretching towards him only to hesitate when she noted the dirt staining her finger tips. She dropped her hands back down to her sides. 

"Am I well? Are you well?" Owain frowned, his eyes staring down at her skirts which had definitely seen better days. There were dozens of tears and rips, dirt covering the material in large streaks. There was just as much dirt on her face after a day in the garden. "I'm going to ask you a very delicate question. Please don't get offended."

Antheia arched a brow causing him chuckle.

"Sorry. Slip of the tongue."

"Right. Though, I assure you, it would take a lot to cause offense." Antheia replied, taking a step closer, her head tilting back so that she could peer up at him.

"Do you -. I mean, -. That is to say."

"Owain, ask me your question."

"Do you have a home? That is to say, are you homeless?"