Goddess Awakened - Chapter 10

Life rapidly settled into a routine. The promised supplies had been dropped over the following morning and then, one meeting at a time, Owain and Ella seamlessly drew Antheia into their world.

From dinners, walks in the parks, and impromptu walks in the park,  she was invited to them all. It took little persuasion for her to accept. 

With her bloody past still carved into her mind with startling clarity, Antheia had half-heartedly fought against the attentions but, bit by bit, she found herself caving in. She had already given away so much of herself - watched it wither in the fires. Surely, she couldn't lose any more. She tried to ignore the part of her heart they were effortlessly carving out for themselves. 

Still, Antheia was defenceless against them. Small gifts were left at the gate for her each day and the pure joy on her priestess's face when Antheia expressed her gratitude were enough to soften even the hardest of heart. 

Even Hades would have had a hard time remaining detached.

The change in Antheia was gradual but, as the weeks went by, she found herself smiling more. She relaxed into the role of mortal, learning with reluctance how to navigate the new and confusing world. While she still had a lot to learn to truly fit in, Antheia could almost imagine a life here amongst them. A life with Owain and Ellie in it. 

Yet, despite how much she attempted to distract herself, a part of Antheia remained unsettled. She still looked to the shadows for the unseen foe.

Something was coming.

She knew it. It was a bone deep feeling that danger approaching. They were lurking just out of view but it still haunted her days and nights.

Restless, Antheia's feet pounded the pavements night after night, her corporeal form unable to sink into the oblivion of sleep. It was only when she reached total exhaustion that she finally gave in. Then, she would drift off into a dreamless sleep so deep that even her priestess was unable to wake her.

Swallowing, Antheia stilled with her hands in the earth.

"Everything alright, Theia?" The voice was soft but cut through her dark thoughts like a bucket of icy water.

Lifting her head, Antheia offered a reassuring smile to the volunteer crouched on the other side of the vegetable patch, her hands equally covered in dirt.

She was an older, kindly woman. Her features had softened with age, laugh lines gently drawn around the corner of her thin mouth. Her nose was reddened by the cold air and her long wisps of grey hair danced in the wind. 

"A problem shared is a problem halved, you know?"

Antheia shook her head. "There's nothing to discuss. I just have a lot on my mind."

"Well, the offer is there." She brushed a hand across her forehead, smearing dirt across it in the process. "Why don't you take the list pinned on the noticeboard and run to the shop? The bags are hanging in the entry way. You deserve a break from the physical labour."

"I don't mind it. I feel most at home in the fresh air and my hands in the dirt."

"Don't let the boss lady hear you say that. She'll have you out here year round."

Antheia shrugged and glanced towards the open doorway. "I wouldn't mind. It's good to have a purpose." And so far, Antheia had just felt so purposeless. After all, with Olympus gone and her existence forgotten by most, what was her role in this new world?

"I could go if you really want to stay. It's no problem."

With a shake of her head, Antheia wiped her hands on her skirts, uncaring of the muddy smears now painted across the fabric. "No, I can do it."