The Boy with a Stolen Pajama

With the arrival of summer, our town — a harmonious blend of development and a welcoming environment — entered a new chapter. Not too big, yet just right, it exuded a unique charm where the spirit of togetherness flourished. As temperatures rose, so did the anticipation of both the beauty and the sweltering warmth that characterized the season, creating a shared experience among the residents of our lively town.

As the summer sun shines down on our town, something magical happens. The whole place comes to life with bursts of color everywhere you look. Flowers start blooming as if they can't wait to show off, and the trees put on their fanciest outfits with bright, new leaves. It's like the town is getting ready for a big party.

Guess what? This means the special time of 'Amba Bahar' or 'Kairi' is about to begin. This is when we know that yummy raw mangoes are on their way. You can almost taste the sweetness in the air. It's like a delicious secret that the town shares, making everyone excited for the tasty treats that summer has in store.

Strolling along the sides of the roads in our town is a real treat. You'll see a mix of houses and green areas that make everything look like a beautiful painting. Here, you truly see the spirit of our vibrant town. Life isn't fancy, particularly for the children from the adjacent slum area, dressed in old and sometimes tattered clothes, but there's a unique kind of magic. These kids, with not a whole lot, become the heartbeat of the place. They're out there, full of life, doing something special — throwing stones at mango trees to grab the best Kairi.

Their clothes might not be the newest, but when they laugh, it's like the sun breaking through the clouds. The town comes alive with their energy, turning a simple tradition into a spectacle. These kids, barefoot and in patched-up clothes, find so much joy in the smallest things.

In this picture, where poverty brushes against tradition, you can't help but feel the strength of our tight-knit town. It's not about what you have; it's about finding happiness in the simple moments. Here, everyone, no matter their struggles, gathers to soak in the joy that comes from the little treasures of life.

Yet, even with all the happy summer feelings, there's a bit of carefulness. My dad, always looking out for us, is careful about our safety. He says I can't join in too much with the stone-throwing fun. It's like a little rule to keep us safe. It reminds me that in our nice town, where everyone is friendly, there's also someone watching out for us, making sure we're okay and happy.

 It reminds me that in our nice town, where everyone is friendly, there's also someone watching out for us, making sure we're okay and happy

In the neighborhood near my home, where the slum kids lived, life was undeniably tough for them. Their families grappled with the harsh reality of poverty, struggling each day to put even two meals on the table. Going to school was a luxury beyond reach, a distant dream that their economic circumstances cruelly denied.

What compounded their challenges was the societal prejudice they faced, being part of the untouchable castes. This unjust bias created an additional layer of hardship for these kids, subjecting them to discrimination and unfair treatment from those around them.