Episode 7: War

" Expulso!"

Fern braced herself, but the impact never happened. Instead, she was simply picked up and taken away from the commotion, her ears ringing slightly, eyes still closed. She was set on the ground, unable to move quite yet. Warm hands were on her, then.

"Malfoy! What in the blazes are you doing?!"

"What do you think I'm doing, Granger ? I'm helping ."

"Well, you're 'helping' is going to get everyone killed ."

Malfoy...and Hermione...? Fern's hazy thoughts filtered in as her ears ceased ringing so harshly, feeling someone grab her by her underarms, hauling her limp body into a sitting position, and cradling her back for support.

"Fern?! Fern, are you awake?!"

Hermione's concerned face filled her vision, as Fern willed her eyes open, her head pounding. She bypassed Hermione to see the blindingly white back head of Malfoy, his wand pressed into Cassius's throat savagely, who for his part looked a bit... singed .

" I should kill you. "

Malfoys words came out venomous, more venomous than Fern had ever heard him before, and it caused her to shiver in fear involuntarily. They were spoken between clenched teeth, she could tell by the sound, but was unable to see his facial expression.

" Do it, then , but we both know you won't. All Malfoy's are cowards ."

Malfoy gave an aggravated cry as he pressed his wand so deep into Cassius's neck it was a wonder it didn't break the skin.

"Cruic-"

Malfoy was yanked backwards by his collar, Harry interrupting what was likely about to be a criminal offense, his own wand pointed levely at Cassius.

" Malfoy, that's enough !"

Harry's voice was stern and filled with authority. She could see Malfoy's face finally, his palpable rage turned to Harry, now.

"Potter you saw him, what he would've done to...he would've--"

Hermione was the one who silenced him.

" Yes , and you could've burned us all to ashes with that little stunt . Honestly , it's a wonder how we're all still alive . You don't just go burning people up like that. Fern could've been hurt!"

Malfoy's grey eyes rested on Fern, finally. She wondered what she must've looked like, because his eyes roamed over her, and a pained expression overtook his face. One she couldn't quite figure out. He cursed, kicking the alleyway brick wall, his face obscured from them again.

"-Not to mention you should be thanking Harry from stopping you from--"

" Enough!"

Malfoy's voice rang out and silence ensued. Fern could see his body shaking slightly.

" Potter, get him out of my sight before I finish what I started. "

His voice was cold and it caused Fern alarm. She tried to get up and go to him, for some reason, but felt another wave of dizziness. Her body became numb, and then limp. She fell to the ground, her consciousness leaving her altogether, the last thing she heard was Hermione's concerned cry.

--

"--Of all the stupid things to do. I should murder Parkinson."

Malfoy's voice in her hazy mind could be heard, but she was still unable to open her eyes. Her body felt lighter, more comfortable, perhaps she was in a bed.