Inamorata and The Pocket Lighter

I sighed as I stared at my papers. Shuffled across my desk were various contracts and parchments that required Lugunica's king to sign off on.

"No matter how many I read, I can't seem to see the end..." I said aloud.

Ram stood behind me.

"Add it up while you're mumbling, Barusu. You can't keep taking breaks. Now get back to work." She demanded.

"You're aware of my position and still talk to me like that?!"

One of the paperwork piles was about to be cleared away, leaving only five more stacks to sift through. I brought the quill in my hand down to the next paper and began writing. I yawned as I slowly wrote. Ram smacked me on the head. I turned around to face her angrily.

"Could you stop glaring down at me like that? You do know how much power I currently hold in this country, right? Maybe it's time I kicked you out of my harem. Understand?"

"It appears that you are as incompetent as ever, Barusu. You are incapable of standing on your own without assistance. Who will help write this pile of papers if I abandon you and leave the room? You should know your place."

I grit my teeth.

"If you hit me one more time then I won't have sex with you." I asserted.

The maid with pink-colored hair broke her composed nature.

"Barasu- that's a bit much, isn't it? After all, you know that I'm the only one who can pleasure you correctly... Ram is on top, and Barusu is on the bottom. That is correct. So it'd be you who'd be missing out if you ceased relations with me."

"I seem to recall the last time we had sex it was I who was on top. Now if you want to stay in my harem you'll keep quiet and help me with my work." I ordered.

Ram exhaled in disgust. She brought over a spare chair to my desk and removed a spare quill from the pen holder.

"Ram is going to write what she can for you. I simply need confirmation, so answer it verbally."

"All right, sounds good to me Ram."

"Your attitude should reflect your gratitude."

"What do you mean, exactly?"

"Isn't it polite to address me as 'Sama'?"

"If anyone else heard me call you that, I'd be in big trouble."

Unlike my own hands which stop working when I talk too much, Ram's paperwork processing speed was astonishing. According to what I've heard before, she was also working behind the scenes at the Roswaal residence, handling the paperwork on Roswaal's behalf. I had no recollection of ever witnessing such a scene, so I was taken aback at first.

"You were just slouching in your chair." Grumbled Ram as she turned to me.

"I feel like I'm being unfairly judged."

"No. I'm trying to help you improve yourself. A king can't be seen slouching."

"Forget that king stuff, as a girl in my harem you should be supporting me to do whatever I want."

"I'll approve a petition from a radical political group, just to spite you." Replied Ram.

"Stop!" I shouted.

Ram handled the situation rather brusquely and at her own discretion. I, on the other hand, did not bother to mention it. I knew there was nothing I needed to correct her on, despite everything she said. I glanced at Ram's face as she stared down at the papers. As always, there is a tense, blank expression on her face. Her soft face has not changed since we first met. When she smiles, she is as pretty as a flower, but she only blooms once a year, if at all.