Prelude - A Welcome To Raccoon City Story

Raccoon City - Suburbs

Midnight

Rita Phillips

Murder. That was the last thing Rita expected when she moved to this place. A city surrounded by pines and mountains. A place not worthy of the name "city". It was a small American town like any other, the only thing promoting it to the name city was the company that was residing within this place. A company that was slowly leaving the city, turning it into a ghost town. The city's population was down by more than 80%, making such gruesome crimes like murder even more unlikely. And yet, there she was. Inside the police car on her way to the crime scene. Driving the empty streets on the rainy night reminded her how lonely this place was. How abandoned it was. Sometimes when she was on patrol she doubted anyone was still living here. She gained speed. She knew the woman who called and she knew the family that was living opposite her. She called because she saw the husband brutally murdering his wife. Rita turned right at the end of the road, drove further up the street, and stopped before the house. As she got out the heavy rain drenched her uniform almost immediately and pressed her short blonde hair against her skin. With one hand at her gun, she walked up to the house and knocked.

- Olivia?

She knocked again.

- Samuel?

No answer.

She looked across the street toward the opposite house.

The neighbor who called, the old lady was standing by the window looking as Rita tried to enter the house. Rita knocked again. The lights in the house were turned on but there seemed to be no movement inside. She spotted a small stone not far from the entrance. A stone almost everybody had lying next to their homes.

- Well.

She lifted the piece and found a key hidden inside.

Rita unlocked the door and slowly pushed it open. The old locks sounded through the entire house. If anyone was inside they now knew that someone entered. As soon as Rita pushed the door open a brutal scene appeared before her eyes. A fight happened in the living room not long ago. Rite pulled her gun and held it steady with both hands. Shattered lambs, a damaged table, and blood lead up the stairs to the second floor.

- Police! Anyone here?

No reaction.

Rite walked the stairs and stepped onto the hallway on the second floor. Following the trail of blood into one of the rooms. She feared the worst. She heard a weird sound coming from behind the door. Mumbling and coughing. Carefully he pushed the wooden door open and looked into the dark room. The lantern's light from outside barely illuminated the place through the window. But she saw a silhouette kneeling in the middle of the room. She pulled her flashlight out and aimed with it and gun at the silhouette. She recognized the person. It was Samuel. He was kneeling next to his wife Olivia, who was lying motionless on the ground. A pool of blood formed around them.

- Samuel?

Rite kept him at gunpoint as he moved his attention away from his wife.

He noticed Rita standing behind him. Slowly he turned his head to the left. Revealing more of his face as he looked over the shoulder at Rita. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw his mad eye. His eyelids were missing, and his white eyeballs were visible even in the darkness. He was staring at her like a dog with rabies. His wife Olivia was missing half of her face. Her jaw and teeth were visible. She was dead. He was chewing on her face.

- Holy... Step away from her!

Samuel ignored her words and rose to his feet.

Suddenly he ran at Rita. Her hands were shaking as she opened fire, only managing to hit his shoulder. Quickly Rita backed away and ran to the stairs, Samuel right behind her. She made her way down, jumping over the last few steps and landing next to the entrance. She watched as Samuel tried to stumble behind her but missed a step and came crumbling down the wooden steps. He fell head first breaking his neck with a cracking sound Rita could hear clearly. His body shook for another moment before finally turning still.