Two

They sat together on the couch. Debbie stared at them, finishing her cereal. They sat really close together. Their knees were touching and their fingers were brushing. Her glance stood still and she took a look at Jack who looked at Carl with a soft smile.

Jack was his name. She remembered Carl calling him that and Debbie also remembered that a few weeks ago her brother was angry at a guy called Jack and since that day Carl began to act weird; is it because of him?

She put her bowl onto the table and coughed for their attention.

"Well." she began and glared between Jack and Carl. "Is there something you guys have to tell me?" she asked, hoping that the question wasn't too straight forward but honestly at one point she just had to ask. The tension's just gotten too unbearable at this point.

Carl widened his eyes, and immediately took his hand from Jack's. He tried to not make it obvious that he was irritated by her question. Instead he tried to play it cool, like always, of course. They are just two cool dudes who happened to kiss each other, right? No, it's not the case and Carl was aware of it. But they haven't talked about anything at all, so he didn't want to make any assumptions.

"Like what?" he asked, acting oblivious.

Debbie smiled. She was about to continue, but judging the look Carl gave her, she has already gotten the answer. 

"Nevermind." she said, brushing it off. "It's nice to see you bringing a friend over who looks like a normal person for once."

"His friends all do look dangerous, right?" Jack said, laughing. "Like they want to split your body open or something. And not in the good way." Jack shuddered.

Carl tried to hold his laugh while punching Jack into his stomach. Jack dramatically put his arms around his stomach and fake sobbed. "Ouch, Carl." he said. "That hurt."

"It didn't, you dumbass. If I wanted it to hurt I would have punched you even harder." he said, slowly sliding up to Jack's ear. "But I don't want to hurt you." he whispered, making sure Debbie didn't hear it but not caring if she did at the same time. Jack shivered.

He didn't expect Carl to do something like that infront of his sister. It's kinda sweet.

Carl leaned back into the couch and his smile suddenly dropped. He looked onto the ground and he got that look in his eyes that hinted at Carl thinking about something and Jack got irritated by the sudden mood change. He wondered whether he had done something wrong he wasn't aware of.

Carl opened his mouth, closed it again and finally spoke up. "Who was that girl?" he asked softly.

Oh, that's what it's all about, Jack thought. He got scared for a second.

"Riley is a friend of mine." he said. "But her boyfriend thought that she was cheating on him with me because he saw me texting her something. Something naughty."

Carl wanted to know more. He wanted to know if he has the right to be jealous. "Did you-"

"Of course not!" Jack interrupted him. "It was just a joke. I didn't expect the message to escalate so quickly. And either way... I have someone I like already." His voice was soft and he winked at Carl.

He wasn't sure if Carl felt the same way before he said that, but now he was sure that Carl likes him back, because Carl blushed like crazy, which is something uncharacteristic for him to do. It's cute, Jack decided.